Chiken Scratch --> aplomb skills in writing. Why some of us will fail?

biochem

So, I have been ridiculed for my writing throughout my 2 pre-Ib years. And now, In IB1, I am continuously reminded that I will FAIL my IB exams on the mere writing skills. In all honesty, I really cant fix the problem. My first language was Serbian/Bosnian, and the 2 writing styles (Cirilica i Latinica), are based on forming letters down -- up. While English, If I am not mistaken is up -- down. Anyways, so my teacher is trying to warn me especially now in Spanish that I wont get my 7 unless I do somethnig about my writing.

and I have tried to fix it, but I flip-flop between serbian/english/spanish so much, that I have developed a unique and singular style of writing that is applicable to all three languages.

I know in AP, the rule is: "your paper will be passed down, and down the examination table until someone can find to read it".

Do they actually fail people on writing style? what are your thoughts on this?

As far as we've been told, the examiners are allowed not to mark stuff that they can't read. We had a number of people who were given extra help with their handwriting at the start of IB1; it was the language A1 teachers' responsibility to make sure that we all could write legibly.

That said, I don't see why forming the letters differently should necessarily render your writing illegible. As long as you know it can be read even when you've written fast, it really shouldn't be a problem! Maybe you should ask your IB coordinator to be on the safe side?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my classmates had really, really bad handwriting so the school made a request to IBO, asking them to let her use a computer to write her exams. I think she had to send in a sample essay that she wrote by hand, had to get it approved, then they set up a special computer for her during the exam. I thought that was pretty cool lol.

One of my classmates had really, really bad handwriting so the school made a request to IBO, asking them to let her use a computer to write her exams. I think she had to send in a sample essay that she wrote by hand, had to get it approved, then they set up a special computer for her during the exam. I thought that was pretty cool lol.

I'd never expect the IB to actually allow that kind of thing, they're so strict with guidelines. Anyone know of any other cases like this?

One person is my class has handwriting so bad it's a scrawl, I had to fill in all her cover sheets for her because even her capital letters are illegible. The teachers are worried that the examiners won't be able to read her handwriting. Her first language is Arabic, so that might be a factor. Her Arabic handwriting is definitely better. It might be the problem of writing left to right in English, unlike right to left in Arabic.

I don't think people necessarily fail on this but I've been told by my French teacher that certain IB examiners will take into consideration of the ostensible effort that you put into your exam while you were writing it. We looked at a few French samples which scored different levels on the exams. One, in particular, that scored pretty high (something along the lines of a 28 or 29 out of 30, if I remember correctly) was supposed to apparently only get 26/27. However, since they drew pictures and appeared to have put a lot of effort into it, they were apparently marked up? So, I'm guessing that "chicken scratch" will always work to your disadvantage because it gives the examiners a bad impression. I'm a bit worried about this as well because I assure you, I have never seen handwriting worse than mine.

Bilingualism ++ is definitely a factor. Think about Russian/Serbian writing. Its formed differently, and for me to go to English, despite my analytical skills in literature, I fail to write with precision.

That computer thing is..wow. I wouldn't have expected that. I much rather just do it on paper. For one of my AP exams, I managed to hatch out 12 pages on some social issue with women while my classmates did a poor 3 pages. I write fast with this crappy hand-writing. Hopefully it's not bad enough and the quantity (here assuming quality along with it), will make-up for it.

I have ticks in my writing if you will. Like, certain things. Certain letters I don't write properly, like I always do a smaller sized-capitalized N.

Buuuuuuttt Hold on a Sec. um. using a computer might be to your advantage. Um. Typing things not only assures 100% clarity of writing, but will increase the amount of stuff you pour out per minute.

Are you sure this worked? :innocent: I am sooooo going to pursue this, of course, with a newly-adulterated and purposely bad writing sample :)

Buuuuuuttt Hold on a Sec. um. using a computer might be to your advantage. Um. Typing things not only assures 100% clarity of writing, but will increase the amount of stuff you pour out per minute.

Are you sure this worked? :innocent: I am sooooo going to pursue this, of course, with a newly-adulterated and purposely bad writing sample :)

It has to be applied for well in advance, around November usually so no, it won't work for you.

Wow, I had no idea that IB would marked for for illegible handwriting. I have terrible writing because I always have a lot to write down when it comes to essays and whatnot. And if I take my time writing something, it would look neat but then I would run out of time. So... I have no idea what would benefit myself more... because I don't have the time to go and practice my handwriting since I literally have no free time.

Apologies, you turned out to be a younglin'. Thought you were M09, :)

HeHe. I think by then I wont be here. My body will go through atrophy trying to accomplish my summer goals. I am going in on Monday to ask for a computer :unsure: then practice non-stop with one. Hope this works!

I got marked down in my Eco mock exams because of my handwriting, (apparently words crucial to my evaluation were illegible). So I don't think you will fail, but you might lose marks.

I always have this fear that a single illegible word will be the markdown from like a 7 to a 6. Just like so close, and then like fail completely :)

biochem: this is exactly what you should do. The IB is very lenient when it comes to stuff like this, so you should tell your IBC to find out how you can prove that you really can't write legibly. I know of cases where this has been done through a doctor, but Laura's way of doing it through an example essay seems a lot easier. A M08 in my school wrote his exams using a computer, so it isn't even a friend of a friend, but someone who I actually know.

This really sounds amazing. and thank you also for your support. I would absolutely love if I got the chance to do such a thing because it would really help out.

Now, I can request this only on some exams right? Cause I don't see the point of doing it on math and chem. Spanish I will learn the accent codes for. And actually, computer-based testing just makes it easier for them anyways to grade it all. Like my history essays, well for AP, were like 12 pages of horrible writing. Maybe I can turn that into a well written session :P

Tomorrow. I go to the coordinator to request it.

This has had me up long nights with worry as well. I know for a fact my handwriting isn't superb and at times, i'd even go as far as to say it's illegable. I know you can't be officially penalized for it, but from a marker's vantage point, I'd be supremely peeved if I got a test paper filled with illegable scrawl and thus be more inclined to mark them off.

My teachers tell me to concentrate just a bit more and writing neater will come naturally. I'm holding out on this one.

This really sounds amazing. and thank you also for your support. I would absolutely love if I got the chance to do such a thing because it would really help out.

Now, I can request this only on some exams right? Cause I don't see the point of doing it on math and chem. Spanish I will learn the accent codes for. And actually, computer-based testing just makes it easier for them anyways to grade it all. Like my history essays, well for AP, were like 12 pages of horrible writing. Maybe I can turn that into a well written session :P

Tomorrow. I go to the coordinator to request it.

Hope they grant you permission! Good luck on your exams! =)

It's a hard one for them to decide... if I could type my exams, I know for sure I'd do much better! Not only can you go back, edit and rephrase, but you can also type waaayy faster than even the fastest person can write, without worring about legibility.

I feel sorry for people with very bad handwriting, but it also seems a little unfair to let people type things and advantage them in subjects like A1, history, philosophy.... virtually anything in humanities! Even if you didn't go back and edit, the speed would make it so you could write twice as much, easily.