History ia topic idea

kaylabear

So I am required to come up with a topic by myself and my teacher is not a big help in narrowing a topic. However she says it has to be within WW1, WW2, or the Cold War. After doing some research I came a story of a man who helped tremendously in the rescuing of Jewish children during the Holocaust. This I would think works since it was during the time of WW2. Im thinking of making my question : To what extent did (person name) play a role in the rescuing of Jewish children during the Holocaust?   Would this be an okay question?

First, I have to say I'm awfully skeptical of your teacher; it's not like you can do much about this, but IA's are supposed to be able to be done on any historical event. Sounds like he/she is lazy or underestimates you guys.

Second, your question is not conducive to writing an IB History IA. Why? It is narrative focused. What I mean by that is that IB generally want to see some degree of original research (in an IA that basically is impossible, so let's just call it justification of opinions that a reasonable person could disagree with). Your current topic would likely result in you summarizing secondary sources and telling the story of this man. You would then conclude that he played an important role because that's what he did, no reasonable person is going to disagree with that.

IB does not like that. They like you to at least analyze some primary sources (which of course can be complimented with analysis of secondary sources) and justify opinions that a reasonable person could disagree with (or that are at least uncommon). Exemplary History EE's are a good example of this and freely available online if you just search for them in your browser. Good luck.