moving during ib

boppo

I am finishing up my first semester of ib, and a new school. My dad got a job in another state, so we'll have to move at the beginning of the summer. It would be fine, except for finding a school that offers the classes I took/ am taking this year. Like, one doesn't offer film, the other doesn't offer world literature and offers a higher level math. I would be able to make up the math, but completely their lang course is difficult- it's not offered online. Recently, my mom had been discussing me during an early college thing where I would complete my junior year at a community college, but that would requiring me completely my second semester of senior year in Florida. I'm just kinda torn between my options: see if I can stay here in missouri, find a way to make ib work in Florida, or drop ib and do the early college thing. 

Edited by boppo

Hi, welcome to IB Survival. A Leafs fan in Missouri? I can respect that.

There's no IB World Literature course. Students in Literature HL classes (and I'm pretty sure SL, too) study texts and there is a world literature requirement of a certain number of books needing to be translated. So I'm a bit lost when you say they don't have a world literature course.

I'd say no HL math is a bigger red flag than film. Obviously, if you're taking film, it's not great for you, but I'd expect most schools to have HL math, whereas Film is more of a rarity.

I don't know what your best option is. Talk with friends and family. At the end of the day, what you want is pretty important, so doing what feels right is the best option.

my school calls out lit course world literature- its literature hl. sorry for the confusion lol

also i would be able to make up math if i end up going to that school (and they offer film as an arts credit). lit is the main issue. 

hope this clears things up :)

How disappointed would you be you in regards to not being able to take Lit HL? Do you want to go to college early? How do you feel about moving schools? I know it's hard but it's probably best that you make this choice as really only you know your priorities. You might even feel ambivalent, and can only guess what will be best. That's okay. None of us can time travel, and you can't live life backwards.

tbh i don't really care what english class i take. the problem is is that the school can't accept me into their ib program because i haven't had the english class i needed junior year. as of right now, its not online so i don't know how i would make up my junior year. 

personally, i'd rather stay here, but thats likely not possible. i dont mind changing schools that much it just seems like its going to be such a mess. i don't really want to have to take 2 extra ib classes next semester to catch up. 

and i don't really care about going to college early. i just don't want to drop ib. idk it would feel like im failing (which i know is irrational but i still feel like that)

Yeah, dropping IB because of personal circumstances beyond your control that make IB impractical is definitely not "failing", though I know what you mean when you say it feels like it. IB is pretty irrelevant apart from university credit, which you'd have anyways as you'd be starting early.

I'm assuming you've talked to the school directly, have they offered any solution where you wouldn't have to take two extra classes? I mean, assuming you're going from Lit to Lang and Lit, they're not that different. If you haven't already, make sure you express your dissatisfaction with them just saying tough luck and leaving you to do all the work without accommodating you.

I know that staying may be a touchy subject, so if it is try, to gauge your parents responses without actually directly asking them.

tbh drop out of IB. The average total grade for IB exams in this year's exam was 29. Since 2018 and 2019 exams will be much harder, the average grade will probably drop. Since you're in a crazy situation with having to catch up in 2 IB courses, I'd say screw it, drop IB. Go for normal courses like A-Levels, they're 10x easier. However, if you're a new level of hard-working (which the next generation certainly isn't), I'd say don't drop IB and take the 2 subjects.

quick update: that school would be unable to give me a seat, which was expected because my classes were *so* different. we did find another school that offers a very similar curriculum, and i'm most likely gonna be going there. the only kink (theres always a goddamn problem lol) is that i wouldn't be able to take film my senior year, so i have to finish it up this year. my teacher is really good though, and he's working with me to get everything situated. i am a bit worried about the increase in workload though, being honest.

• Like 1