Further oral activity

Hey hey I am new here. I started IB program in Norway and I am in DP2 so I am taking things slow but learning to keep my own pace with studying! Of course along the way I am learning about time management and learning new skills.

Anyhow, I am currently struck with a new assignment from my English A teacher. He has split the class into groups of three and wants us to have a further oral activity in these groups. Apparently, he will allow class participation although the students that are presenting will be the only ones assessed. Most of the texts that we have studied for the first two months are about the cultural context of the text and the guide states that the groups can have a dramatic presentation or a speech. Our teacher wants us to have a thesis statement so I assume that the dramatic presentation is more or less out of the question? I am planning on asking him..

I am slightly stressing out because he said that this will be weighed as 15% on the final grade (and i do not have much knowledge of the weighing system and its affect on my grades for the overall class) I am confused because I know that I have 1 and a half year left until the exams and that the exams do account for about 50% of my grade while other assessments taken before the exams are taken into account as to what your grade will become. So what I want to know is if this 15% could potentially bring my whole score down if I totally fail this assessment...

I am planning on choosing two poems for this FOA The victorian hangman tells his love, and dulce et decorum est. If any of you have read and analyzed these poems, how do you suggest I go about writing my thesis? Should I compare their theme(s)? or should I just compare structure, elements such as allusion and metaphors and tone, or???

The guide isn't so clear so I am glad that I can choose the best FOA performance, but as of right now I am completely lost. If you can answer any of these questions I have concerning the English FOA, I'd appreciate it a lot 

Gracias IB amigos.

Vi ses

You should be able to do a dramatic presentation and have a wink wink moment where a character breaks the fourth wall and addresses the audience in a this-is-our-thesis moment. But since it's an internal, your teacher decides, so consult him/her first.

15% isn't that much. Yeah, failing it wouldn't be great, but that's an extreme case. It's much more likely that you're not an outlier and get an acceptable score and in that case, 15% is almost insignificant.

I mean either way is valid; in the end, you're probably going to talk about each work's theme, though you don't have too. If you start with comparing themes, then natural structure is to then compare literary devices. If you start with difference in the use of a certain lit device, then it's natural to comment on the effect of the difference, and that usually leads to theme. For a lot more advice on all IB Lit, I'd recommend checking out the pinned threads on the literature sub-forum, or asking more specific questions in the sub-forum. Good luck.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

You should be able to do a dramatic presentation and have a wink wink moment where a character breaks the fourth wall and addresses the audience in a this-is-our-thesis moment. But since it's an internal, your teacher decides, so consult him/her first.

15% isn't that much. Yeah, failing it wouldn't be great, but that's an extreme case. It's much more likely that you're not an outlier and get an acceptable score and in that case, 15% is almost insignificant.

I mean either way is valid; in the end, you're probably going to talk about each work's theme, though you don't have too. If you start with comparing themes, then natural structure is to then compare literary devices. If you start with difference in the use of a certain lit device, then it's natural to comment on the effect of the difference, and that usually leads to theme. For a lot more advice on all IB Lit, I'd recommend checking out the pinned threads on the literature sub-forum, or asking more specific questions in the sub-forum. Good luck.

Thanks so much. I talked to my group about it and I think we will do something along the lines of a script with some really dramatic moments and then have some talk to the class (our audience) about the elements and to end it we'll have some interpretations and connections to themes. My group is very passive and they just agreed with what I said (I was hoping for some suggestions.. but nothing) . I'll speak to my English teacher tomorrow to confirm that this presentation is OK. 

I guess i was stressing to much over 15% which doesn't all depend on this one activity.. haha

Thanks again!!