Just some questions I have

ppap003

English A (HL)

How to go about studying? Do I just read the texts and take notes in class? What more can I do to further enhance my critical thinking and analyzing skills of literature. I think I need help with thinking further and into what the author may have had in mind while writing their book or text or poem..

Biology HL

I have tried many methods for studying Bio.. 

My main go-to is simply to go over the textbook (pearson) and then over the databased questions she gave us.. I find that I study everything without much thought on what may appear on the test the most.. so I end up studying something less(?) important than what may appear.. 

What are other methods that have worked for you?

Chemistry HL

Chemistry right now is going very smoothly, I have gotten a 7 for my first test and a 6+ for my second and most recent test. 

Norwegian B 

I desperately need some tips on how to study for my second language. The class is so diverse, ranging from people who are in group 1 with almost 0 vocabulary and group 2 with moderate vocabulary and group 3 who are almost fluent.. So because of this the teacher doesn't have as much time to focus on group 2 students which is where I am located.. There is only one class for Nowegian B and so the class is big and distracted... not a lot of students are interested in class and like to play on their phones (which makes this a bad learning environment) 

I basically need tips and some motivation.. TT- TT

Math SL

Math is not so bad, I personally enjoy the class, because the pace in class is not very fast and the teacher is very good in explaining (also I have learned this stuff prior to IB)

I think i just need to be taking a time in every day or every other day to practice the math questions so i get the hang of it 

Any tips on how to study for when it gets harder??

Anthropology SL 

i think that right now I am slowly grasping the essence of this class and on how to study for it.. I am not that interested in the theory but more of the ethnographic studies.. so I think its all about having the right attitude. I just need to be engaged. 

What do you all think? I think i just need some motivation,, especially since Norway is basically night all day now in the winter period. My mood has been swinging like crazy, i have been basically quite bipolar >< (god pls shine light on this dark place) 

Regarding English A (assuming it's Lit., and not Lang. and Lit.), you are not trying to decipher the author's intent. In fact, IB specifically say that author's intent does not matter  for their desired type of analysis. IB wants students to analyze the effects of the text, which yes, seems and is very similar to authorial intent, but the point is that the author's thoughts and activities do not matter. Do not analyze the author or try to prove what she was thinking or wanting to tell us when she wrote the book; focus just on text and what that tells the reader and its effects.

Also, check out the the pinned threads in the Literature A sub-forum here.

With math, when exams are closer, look up old exams and mark schemes and do them. Math questions generally have some resemblance year after year so doing as many prior exams as possible helps.

• Like 1

For Norwegian B: If you already have a moderate vocabulary, seek out online resources. When it comes to learning a language, as long as you aren't at the very beginning of learning it, and you have most grammatical and pronunciation basics down, it's usually fairly easy to pick up vocabulary on your own. Some methods for doing this:

1. Use Quizlet to find and use other people's vocabulary lists and use those
  2. Read children's books or books geared towards to language-learners of Norwegian
  3. Some teachers upload their content online for their students' reference purposes and whatnot - see if you can find any teacher's websites where they've uploaded their course content
  4. My personal favourite way to pick up more varied vocabulary is to read through a passage of text, make a list of all the words I don't know in the language, use a dictionary to find out what those words are, then study that list of vocabulary.

For Biology: I tend to just take tons and tons of notes, and then make note-cards to get information down. I don't know about you, but writing things down tends to help me. If you get a study guide, make a photocopy of it or something, complete it once, and after some studying, complete it again, just to make sure you're retaining the information and can call to it when prompted on a test. Also, BioNinja is an absolute dream. Some of my 2nd year peers use it as their sole study source and score highly in class.

For Math: Just do problems every single day. Every. Single. Day. Math is something that needs to be drilled and done regularly. The advice I gave you on photocopying your bio study guides is even better advice for math. If you get a study guide, photocopy it, do it 2 or 3 times over.

• Like 2