Need help with refining my EE Ideas (Related to History, Business and English)

ali.asif

So I have started to think about what I would like to do for my Extended Essay, we have to give in our ideas in around a weeks time. Just need some help refining my ideas, any tips would be appreciated!

1. How has the Volkswagen Diesel Emission Scandal impacted the brand image of Volkswagen (Related to Business Management) 
  2. Comparing the speeches of Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump, and how the language impacted the election results (English Language and Literature)
  3. How can war be justified (History)

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by ali.asif
Needed to be more specific

I'm only really familiar with History. The good news is that I'm going to make your choice easier, the bad news is that the third one is out of question. For history, you need an actual event; often times specific wars are actually too broad and students have to limit their focus to battles of a specific element. So it goes without saying that your question won't work in a 4000 word essay. Also, it's probably a bit too philosophical for IB History's taste. Good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

I'm only really familiar with History. The good news is that I'm going to make your choice easier, the bad news is that the third one is out of question. For history, you need an actual event; often times specific wars are actually too broad and students have to limit their focus to battles of a specific element. So it goes without saying that your question won't work in a 4000 word essay. Also, it's probably a bit too philosophical for IB History's taste. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight Nomenculture! I was considering the history of motorsport or how the CIA impacted the Cuba situation, or something along those lines

For topic 2, the comparison of two speech written in English would be category 1. I wouldn't bring too much attention to how speech *impacted* the election results but just literary analysis within the speech themselves. What you can and should include is any social context that may be relevant (just whatever impacted the writing, not what the writing impacted). 

• Like 1

Yep, of course.

Those ideas are much better in that they are more smaller topics (but you'll likely end up narrowing the topic even more). I'm just going to remind you (you probably already know, but I never assume because in the rare chance that you don't then it will help) that History EE's need to be argumentative. So, you can't just give a long summary of the events in the development of motorsports or summarize the CIA's involvement in Cuba. You need to claim something in response to your research question and argue for it. 

I remember reading an exemplary EE on the the Catholic Church's influence on football in Costa Rica in the late 19th century/early 20th century (similar to a historical look at motorsport; notice how narrow and specialized the question is). I'll PM you the link and edit it into this response if I can find it, if not, it's floating around somewhere on the web. Reading any exemplary history EE, regardless of topic, will help you though.

I found it. No edit needed:

http://schools.wrdsb.ca/chc/files/2014/10/1_hist_wolff_essay.pdf

• Like 1