Chem IA question

Legend3107

I am basically testing for iron content in different vegetables. I dissolve 30g of each vegetable in sulphuric acid and then titrate it against KMnO4. Basically I need help coming up with a scientific explanation on why I need to keep the mass of the vegetables and sulphuric acid a constant for each experiment. I know it's a dumb question but I just want to be sure and not lose any dumb marks.

Edited by Legend3107

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd say something like if you have varying masses of the vegetables this could result in varying iron contents, therefore directly affecting your research/data. For the sulphuric acid, if you have varying volumes/ different types of acid this will again affect the titration values and how the vegetables are dissolved??

19 hours ago, yara560 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd say something like if you have varying masses of the vegetables this could result in varying iron contents, therefore directly affecting your research/data. For the sulphuric acid, if you have varying volumes/ different types of acid this will again affect the titration values and how the vegetables are dissolved??

Yeah, I agree. 

2 hours ago, kw0573 said:

It's very dangerous to use strong acid as a solvent: usually you just need few drops. I would guess it has something to do with acid breaking down cell walls. Make sure your method is checked by your teacher.

I'm pretty sure he's not using 1 M sulfuric acid :D