What Grade Did You Get for Your EE?

Alix

I'll have to wait to tell you what I got, but I know some marks from people over the years.

Economics EE- Case study of price elasticity in two villages; one in Finland and one in Tanzania- C

History EE- The influence of German architecture in Jerusalem- C (too narrative)

Physics EE- Something to do with pitch in music- C

Another History EE got a B, it was about the Arab-Israeli conflict, and I think that was the highest grade we had.

So maybe C IS the average.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got an A on my extended essay in Computer Science.

And regarding History EEs, at least in my school, the case seems to be that the supervisor has a huge influence. We used to have an excellent History teacher who would always have at least some students who got As in their extended essays. Three years ago, he supervised 7 extended essays: 6 got As, 1 got a B. He left last year, and now with my class the highest grade in a history EE was a B.

• Like 2

I just submitted my EE and waiting for the teacher's comment. :P Hopefully it will be fine. I'm doing EE in chemistry.

Base on my seniors result, my teacher said that for EE in science subject it is quite tough to score an A. The IBO expect students to do more on the write up and it shouldn't be as simple in our lab report. The conclusion and evaluation should be meaningful enough to the topic being studied.

However, many of my seniors who got A for their EE did on Language subjects such as English and Malay.

Alix, what subject did you do?

I picked my sources selectively. Basically, get real books and don't use wikipedia.

Good Luck.

Never use wikipedia. Whoever wants a decent grade, not be ridiculed at, and possible avoid failing should not use wikipedia.

I got predicted an A for my English B EE, but my teacher said that if I get unlucky with my examiners, it might even be a C. It depends on the examiners (there are always two) you get, someone might give you an A for an EE that someone else would give a C. Then again, EEs that have been predicted C rarely come back as an A or a B.

• Like 1

It only took you 3 days to write yours? Wow, dedication.

Ha, yeah but my outline was extremely detailed and I had basically already written my EE in my outline except in point form and minus all the transitions and source evaluations. Plus when I say I wrote for 3 days, it was pretty much literally 3 days straight. I probably wrote for 8-10 hours each day.

And yes, I forgot, read the rubric for the criteria and make sure you fulfill each of the criteria. That was very helpful to me to know what I was being graded on.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Wait how did you guys get predicted letter grades? My co-coordinator just told me 22/36, anyone know what that is?

Extended essay grade boundaries are the same for all extended essay subjects.

The bands are:

E: 0 - 8

D: 9 - 16

C: 17 - 24

B: 25 - 29

A: 30 - 36

So a 22 is a C. That's the average grade that IB students get on their EE's worldwide.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I just submitted my EE and waiting for the teacher's comment. :ashika: Hopefully it will be fine. I'm doing EE in chemistry.

Base on my seniors result, my teacher said that for EE in science subject it is quite tough to score an A. The IBO expect students to do more on the write up and it shouldn't be as simple in our lab report. The conclusion and evaluation should be meaningful enough to the topic being studied.

However, many of my seniors who got A for their EE did on Language subjects such as English and Malay.

Alix, what subject did you do?

I'm a May10er so I am just starting mine, I have changed my subject and topic countless times, from econ to history to english and because i'm going to the UK, I really need IB points so EE is really important. No pressure then!

• 4 months later...

I'm a May10er so I am just starting mine, I have changed my subject and topic countless times, from econ to history to english and because i'm going to the UK, I really need IB points so EE is really important. No pressure then!

I'd stick with English, it seems like the easiest way to score high, plus I found my paper super enjoyable to work on and managed to hack an A. I'd say read as many A grade papers as possible, and notice the commonalities between structure/format etc., plus make sure it's something you're passionate about, because it will a) make the process MUCH easier to endure, and b) it will definitely come through in your writing.

• Like 1