What Grade Did You Get for Your EE?

Alix

35/36 (And an A :P !) in Philosophy.

I did try really, really hard though, and made sure I followed the guidelines to the letter. Provided you do that, you'll be alright. The people who don't do well are the people who don't take the guidelines and their specifics seriously enough.

I think the hardest subject to score an A in EE is Physics (that's what my Physics teacher told me. Only a very small percent of students who write a Physics EE get an A in it). I got an A for mine, but it wasn't Physics, it was English.

There are examples of EEs on ibpapers.info (though the site's not working for me right now...maybe it's closed down XD) I read a really great one where the student talked about how LOTR empowered the female, despite the fact that it's been criticised for being...what's the word, I can't remember. Something about too "male" and detrimental to females. I also heard about another one for Biology where the student wrote about why sex is the best form of exercise. Don't know what they scored on that though!

Any advice on psychology EEs?

I think people who did Psychology EEs in my school didn't do so well. One of my friends, who works hard and gets really good grades (she got a 40) got a D on her Psychology EE. It may have had something to do with the fact that we changed Psych teachers between the years and neither of them had taught the IB before. But anyway, I think the most important thing to remember with Psych EEs (and indeed all EEs) is to keep it narrowly focused. A major danger is if the RQ is too broad or general. I think that's what my friend's problem was. Read up old Psych EEs that have done well (look on the site I gave and see if they have any).

• 2 weeks later...

Getting an A in EE is not impossible. But then my EE advisor predicted me a B but he told I could get an A but I could also get a C. I guess sometimes even the teachers are not too clear about IB criteria. But I can say with certainty that if you do anything Science, Geography related, make sure you rely on primary sources.

I did my EE in Geography because I thought it would be the easiest...but it wasn't because you're required to use and find primary data (almost like another field study/experiment). IB likes statistics in your reports; that was one of the reasons why my teacher said with certainty that I'll probably get an A. It's ok if you don't reach a definite conclusion but as long as you analyze it like list out the limitations of research methods, maybe areas for further studies, then it'll still be ok. Well at least that's what I did.

In terms of time management, I'd like to say start earlier...but I didn't officially start mine until the fall of my second year. I didn't start writing until the pressure (which was fake because the co-ordinator was lying about the due date...a good thing!) got to me around January and I spent a week staying up at night typing up my draft. My advisor read through it and I spent 2 more weeks (no staying up though) adding in more pictures and rewriting. I think if I combine all the time I used thinking about the topic, thesis and research methods, doing the acutal researching and surveying, the writing and the visuals (drawing maps, inserting tables, creating spreadsheet), I think I spent about 96 hours at least.

Then again, it could also be that I'm good with analyzing data for geography. I got a 7 for Geography HL, so that certainly aids my EE. If I were to pick English, I'd probably get a B if I'm optimistic...or a C. So instead of going for easy, go first for the subject you're good at and have interest in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got an A in my physics EE. Even though I used Wikipedia and a number of dubious sources.... I did not even put enough footnotes!

I received a B from biology. It's quite good, since it was an experimental science and I had no fair conditions to do all the experiments. However, an A is an A and it's sad to fail in getting it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got an A in my French A1 extended essay, I think it's a first for the school. I think the main thing to remember is that you have a bunch of criteria, so making sure to be familiar with ALL of them before even starting is a big help. Checking and rechecking that you're following the criteria throughout the process is key as well.

I did mine based on a collection of folk tales from Gascogne, more specifically on the representation of good and evil. There was virtually no in depth analysis of these folk tales that I could find both in my library and online, so I had to really analyse them myself and contrast my findings with existing material for other types of tales. It was incredibly interesting and I think that's another factor that determines your EE grade - if you have a genuine interest, you tend to work better.

I did my extended essay in Psychology, and I got an A. (i don't know what score exactly)

However very few people at my school got A's that I know of, it is pretty rare.

My suggestion to anybody wanting to do a psychology EE is that you need to ensure you evaluate, and evaluate a LOT. I did mine on the correlation between schizophrenia and handedness but I spent a lot of time discussing the effects that majority of studies were with male european participants. I suppose as well my topic was specific, but I knew exactly what I wanted to talk about and I stuck to that, so ensuring that your abstract and intro are clear and that your essay follows that and you should do reasonably well.

I think it also helped my supervisor was once the chief examiner for psychology EE's in the southern hemisphere... (although he HATED me and i was extremely scared of him)

best of luck to those who still need to do theirs!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...