What Grade Did You Get for Your EE?

Alix

inthemaking, any advice on getting an a? how do you make it not narrative? i find that pretty hard to do..

This is one of the most important skills that the IB wants students to learn. The art of analysis. What you need to do in your Extended Essay is to find information and then question it by asking why and other related questions. A good EE will bring out issues of a research question and evaluate it critically and effectively.

It took me a very long time to master this skill but once I learnt it, writing the EE became enjoyable (ignoring the fact that there were deadlines of course).

I did mine in Computer Science and I am predicted an A.

I did my EE on Maths... Pure Maths on Group Theory (Further Math SL EE)

For the very few people who is doing their EE on Maths, notice that there are not that many things you can do anything 'new' in the field of Mathematics unless you are doing something like modelling. But as the nature of Extended Essay is 'research project' and as Maths EE specifically looks for 'reasoning', you might want to look at the point beyond the level of IB Maths. The most enjoyable part of my EE was that I was able to find my own way of getting the answer. It might be tried by others and probably there are several other ways of solving one question. However, if you acutally work as a Mathematician and find out the results 'in your own way', it becomes very delightful to write an EE on Maths. I did mine on Construction of non-isomorphic groups (Sets, Relations and Groups option for Math HL) and I had a chance to meet professor in University of Brussels and many others.

I did get predicted A, but you never know as EE grades are unpredictable. (depending on who is grading, you might get ridiculously low marks)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did mine in History, was predicted an A. Sure guide to success? Do lots of research, don't use the internet as a resource, do it in IB1, and be a decent writer. I read bits and pieces from about 10-12 different books, and had an obscure topic. I had minimal contact with my supervisor, all he advised was to make my "paragraphs into sandwich form". Probably the reason I didn't have a lot of contact with him. I spent about 1.5 weeks reading my material and brainstorming, a whole weekend and part of a week writing it (Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday, and bits and pieces for a couple more days). When I revised it this year, I made minimal changes and got my A.

Especially if you're doing History, pick an obscure regional topic (ie: I choose to write my EE on the Maritimes in Canada), that way examiners won't know anything on your topic and will go with your supervisor's inflated prediction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far I have gotten a predicted grade on my EE and it was an A.

I wrote mine in History on the Olmec Civilization

Apparantly the lowest predicted grade in my school was C

(Small school in Iceland, there are 13 IB2 students so... )

and I also got predicted grade B for my TOK essay :')

• 1 month later...

Well these are the grades achieved in my high school... im just entering my second year in IB and my EE is not due till November 1st, anyways here are the scores:

Only 1 person from my high school ever achieved an A on the EE and it was in Biology, something about flat worms and cutting it up to see it grow back.

All chemistry has been a C

History has always been a C and rarely a B

English is most of the C and rare B's as well

• 4 weeks later...

mmmh interesting!!! ALL of u pretty much have really good grades....

I got 29 points for May 2010 but got an A in EE

and funny thing is, my EE essay was predicted to be a C - especially since I did pretty much the Whole EE in the last 3 weeks before it was offically due!!! haha

mmmh interesting!!! ALL of u pretty much have really good grades....

I got 29 points for May 2010 but got an A in EE

and funny thing is, my EE essay was predicted to be a C - especially since I did pretty much the Whole EE in the last 3 weeks before it was offically due!!! haha

LOL! I am opposite to you. I was predicted A and then got a B. I did mine on Biology on the difference affects of disinfectants on gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria (it might sound fancy but it is totally crap!) :(

I received an A on my Music EE. My topic was "the universality of protest song," and I compared techniques of the contemporary movements of Vietnam War-era American protest music and Chilean nueva cancion (which isn't always considered protest music, but for the purposes of my essay, it was suitable). I procrastinated a bit more than I probably should have, and was honestly pretty surprised at my score; I had received a 5 on my Musical Investigation after moderation and seriously doubted my musical analysis skills would be up to par for the IB, but things worked out much better this time around, I guess!

By some divine miracle I actually got an A on my Extended Essay in Mathematics. My research question was: "Finding the total number of legal permutations of the Rubik's Cube". I was expecting a C, as not many people get As in Maths.

wow. on 3x3 or 2x2? either way, that is a biiiiiiiig number.

By some divine miracle I actually got an A on my Extended Essay in Mathematics. My research question was: "Finding the total number of legal permutations of the Rubik's Cube". I was expecting a C, as not many people get As in Maths.

wow. on 3x3 or 2x2? either way, that is a biiiiiiiig number.

I did the original 3x3x3, and the number is actually exactly 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 according to Wikipedia, which is also the number I got in my essay.