MLI Discussions.... Anyone have the Answers?

HankScorpio007

I received this discussion topic MLI paper in my Level 1 and Level 2 music IB training, but never got any of the answers to whether or not each of these are appropriate topics and WHY would or would not work.

I've attached the page in question, but still have no clue as to whether these would work - so does anyone have the answers?

MLI Discussion.pdf

I'm not going to respond to all 37 individually (that would be painstaking), but from my understanding, the decision would need to be made based off of this:

1. Are there two cultures listed in the topic? It must be a comparison of two cultures with links.

2. Are they distinctive musical cultures? The two cultures should have no possible influence on each other. They should be entirely unrelated. For example, two different eras of jazz would not be appropriate. A comparison of one era of jazz with Gregorian chant would be appropriate.

3. Are they specific musical cultures? As far as I know, you need to be specific. For example, "musical theatre" wouldn't be an appropriate culture. That's a vague, broad genre that doesn't encompass anything specific. Musical theatre can be anything from golden age Rodgers & Hammerstein to the contemporary pop rock of Pasek & Paul.

Full disclosure, I'm not a teacher, just a student, but this is my understanding of the syllabi.

Edited by ndghost
Removed redundant explanation of the broadness of "musical theatre"
  • Like 1