Can I do my IA in an option?

ToThinkIsToLive

On 12/18/2017 at 3:52 AM, ToThinkIsToLive said:

If so, can I do it in an option we are not studying in class?

Also, must my IA be from the HL topics since I am doing HL Biology?

Thanks.

1. Yes, I'm doing my math on Fourier Transforms
2. If you want a better grade, yes.

Pick something you like and have a small background. In my case, I was suffering a little bit at the start because I didn't understand jack diddly squat about my topic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ToThinkIsToLive said:

Not really. I just wanted to know if I could do my IA in an option we are not doing in class in Biology and if I can do my IA based on SL content even though I am a HL Biology student.

Yes, you may do your IA in an option your class isn't studying. You can also do your IA on any biology-related topic, so long as it is reasonable and appropriate with regards to several factors. It's worth nothing that your IA moderator will have no definitive idea if you are a HL or SL student, or what option topic you even studied in class. Therefore, yes you may do it on an SL content without direct penalty to grading. All science IAs are assessed without regard to if the student is SL or HL. That said, though not always the case, you may find an SL topic to be too simple or undemanding for your IA. Nevertheless, I do know people who have gotten level 7 on their Bio IAs on SL topics, despite being HL students, and I have known HL students to write their IAs on HL topics and get poor grades due to insufficient understanding or just generally poor IA writing. 

Edited by IB`NOT`ez

• 4 months later...
On 12/19/2017 at 6:13 AM, IJustWanaPass said:

1. Yes, I'm doing my math on Fourier Transforms
2. If you want a better grade, yes.

Pick something you like and have a small background. In my case, I was suffering a little bit at the start because I didn't understand jack diddly squat about my topic.

I did it the same way