Math HL IA Queue Theory

Nicholas

Finally found an IA Topic after weeks of researching.

Planned to do something on queuing theory. Read through it and understood that it's mainly calculation with arrival rate, time to wait before reaching the end of queue etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong). 

I'm just not sure how an IA is supposed to look like when applying queue theory. Choose a situation and start investigating the values? Is it just that? Is there suppose to be more to it than just calculations. Just felt quite sceptical and had to ask.

Anyone out there who has done queuing theory before is kind enough to share with me your experience or even example IAs?

And also any other tips to find new topics if mine is not feasible and tips while doing my IAs? Like what to focus on?

Any Sample IAs are welcome :)

Thank You so Much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2018 at 1:55 AM, david fan said:

I'm doing queuing theory as well !!! except I'm just as lost as you are. Did you get any further on your IA?

Yes, I did manage to do it. It is tough, but a lot of reading and UNDERSTANDING is required. Try reading up the basics first such as M/M/1. 

• 1 year later...

I'm also doing my IA on queuing theory and I'm not sure how begin. Do you have to derive the formulas that you use or can you just apply the existing ones and solve the problem? I would really appreciate if you could share your experiences with me? Do you have any examples of IA on this topic?

Thank you very much in advance. 

3 hours ago, Ribic said:

I'm also doing my IA on queuing theory and I'm not sure how begin. Do you have to derive the formulas that you use or can you just apply the existing ones and solve the problem? I would really appreciate if you could share your experiences with me? Do you have any examples of IA on this topic?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Hi Ribic,

You don't have to derive your own formulas as that would require close to God level skill. Haha. But what I did was to derive the formula that was given in the Theory itself. This is to show some form of understanding of the equation and theory. 

Application wise, I studied a particular shop and basically applied the equations.

Do lots of reading. It'll be frustrating but be patient. Watch videos and read. Commit one while day for that at least. Or maybe even a week. Search up on academic papers too. 

Understand the topic and draft out a skeleton for your IA before reading samples of IA. Because if you read samples too early, you'll get a mental block as to how to create your own original Queueing Theory IA.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Ribic said:

Do you have to derive the formulas that you use or can you just apply the existing ones and solve the problem?

There are different models in queue theory. You should state your assumptions in your chosen model for the particular traffic and justify/evaluate the model throughout the IA. You should definitely go beyond stating a model without making attempts to justify it.

2 hours ago, Nicholas said:

Hi Ribic,

You don't have to derive your own formulas as that would require close to God level skill. Haha. But what I did was to derive the formula that was given in the Theory itself. This is to show some form of understanding of the equation and theory. 

Application wise, I studied a particular shop and basically applied the equations.

Do lots of reading. It'll be frustrating but be patient. Watch videos and read. Commit one while day for that at least. Or maybe even a week. Search up on academic papers too. 

Understand the topic and draft out a skeleton for your IA before reading samples of IA. Because if you read samples too early, you'll get a mental block as to how to create your own original Queueing Theory IA.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. It really helps me a lot. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, Nicholas said:

Yes, I did manage to do it. It is tough, but a lot of reading and UNDERSTANDING is required. Try reading up the basics first such as M/M/1. 

how much did u score? cause im doing it on the same topic and so far its a mess. 

• 4 years later...
On 12/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, BudyH said:

Does anyone have a sample IA on queueing theory that I can look at to understand how things are supposed to look like? 

Hello have you received any IA samples yet? I also wanted to do my IA based on this theory. Thank you!