HL Math, Physics, Chemistry vs HL Math, Physics, Economics

sj2601

I want to study engineering in university (not yet sure exactly what kind) and I'm definitely going to take HL Math and Physics. The problem is that I'm not sure if I want to take chemistry as my third HL subject or economics. I've heard that HL economics is one of the easier HL subjects (especially in comparison with Math and Physics), but I've never taken economics before and I don't know whether I'm going to like it. That said, since economics is a bit easier I think it will allow me to invest more time on other subjects and get better grades on them. The other option is to take HL chemistry. The general consensus is that HL chemistry is one of hardest IB subjects and so I'm worried that taking it might, negatively impact my other grades. However, taking HL Chemistry will definitely strengthen my subject choice and catch more attention from universities.

1. Is HL Math, Physics and Chemistry a feasible subject choice? Is it worth risking a stronger subject choice even though it might decrease my total IB score?

2. Is it better to just take economics instead of chemistry, so I have less stress and more time for other subjects?

3. Is HL Math, Physics and Economics an appealing choice to top universities in the world (Ivy League)? What about Math, Physics and Chemistry?

• 3 weeks later...

1. I had witnessed several of my seniors who have performed very well with this subject combination that you may be considering to take. However, most of them had already displayed a strong foundation in their sciences before they even started studying in the IB. Therefore, you should reflect on your current abilities in each subject, rather than how "difficult" the subject is.

2. Many students in my school took HL Economics too. It is generally believed to be one of the easier HL subjects, like what you have previously said. However, you should not be picking subjects based on its level of difficulty to attain a 7 points. If your subject combination is not going to help you, in any way, to attend your dream university course, then I highly advise you to pick chemistry since most courses in universities (in Singapore at least) require Chemistry/Physics/Mathematics.

3. I am not able to provide much insight to this question. But, from what I have heard, it mostly depends on the course you are intending to take in the University. For instance, if you want to study literature in the university, yet your subject combination is: eg.  HL Chem, HL Physics and HL Math (while literature is not one of your HL subjects). This will greatly decrease your chances of getting into the course. Just saying again, I am not totally sure if this is how it works for universities but this is what I have heard from several of my classmates.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi 

I was kind of in the same spot as you are ( i also want to become an engineer).

I decided to take HL math HL physics and HL chemistry. although it is a bit hard to keep up with good grades in all of them I think u should definitely do the same thing as I did because most universities require chemistry for engineering careers.

also, economics won't do you any good.

hope my advice helps

• 3 weeks later...

I did HL maths, physics and economics and got into engineering, but, if you want to do chemical engineering SOME universities may want both physics and chemistry at HL. I never did economics before IB and it was my easiest higher level. Moreover, standard level economics do 2 papers while HL do 3, but the higher level only paper is easier! It is mostly simple calculations (which you will be good at) instead of long essay type questions. I would not recommend standard level economics to anyone - if you're taking it it makes more sense to take it as a higher level subject even if that means taking 4 HLs. 

I hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions you might have :D

On 1/6/2018 at 7:13 AM, sj2601 said:

I want to study engineering in university (not yet sure exactly what kind) and I'm definitely going to take HL Math and Physics. The problem is that I'm not sure if I want to take chemistry as my third HL subject or economics. I've heard that HL economics is one of the easier HL subjects (especially in comparison with Math and Physics), but I've never taken economics before and I don't know whether I'm going to like it. That said, since economics is a bit easier I think it will allow me to invest more time on other subjects and get better grades on them. The other option is to take HL chemistry. The general consensus is that HL chemistry is one of hardest IB subjects and so I'm worried that taking it might, negatively impact my other grades. However, taking HL Chemistry will definitely strengthen my subject choice and catch more attention from universities.

1. Is HL Math, Physics and Chemistry a feasible subject choice? Is it worth risking a stronger subject choice even though it might decrease my total IB score?

2. Is it better to just take economics instead of chemistry, so I have less stress and more time for other subjects?

3. Is HL Math, Physics and Economics an appealing choice to top universities in the world (Ivy League)? What about Math, Physics and Chemistry?

1.Depends on the requirements of your university course - does it require these subjects?

2. Every subject has its own pain points. Some people may feel that Economics is simple, but others may feel otherwise. So, if you were to take economics for the sake of having less stress and more time, you may want to reconsider about it again. Also, I personally find chemistry easier than economics so it really just goes to show that economics may not necessarily be an "easier" subject.

3. I cannot provide much insight to this question since I have yet to graduate from IB (unfortunately..) However, I feel that the latter may seem like a more appealing combination if you were to sign up for an engineering course.

Hope this helps! :)