Improper integral question help

Destiny of Pi

Treat an improper integral as you would a normal integral. That is, evaluate it.

Evaluating 9(a), I recognize (1/a^2+x^2) as an inverse arctan trig integral (arcsin, arccos, and arctan are derivatives you should know. I believe they'll be on the formula sheet during the external, but being familiar with them will help you). So we have [arctan(x)] on the boundary (infinity, -infinity). Either by thinking about it logically (as the slope of the radius on the unit circle approaches infinity i.e. a vertical line, what will the angle cast out be?) or by plugging the graph or arctan(x) into a calculator you should see that as x approaches infinity, arctan(x) approaches pi/2. Using the same methods, we see that as x approaches -infinity, arctan(x) approaches -pi/2. So subbing in the bounds to our integral, we know it equals pi/2 - (-pi/2) = 2pi/2 = pi. The integral converges to pi.

Evaluating 9(b) I use integration by parts, as u-substitution will not work. (Fun tip: to remember the formula uv - integral(du), I like the mnemonic device "ultraviolet voodoo"). Let x be u as its derivative, 1, will result in a solvable integral. So u = x, du = 1, dv = e^(-2x), v = e^(-2x)/-2. From there you should be able to solve (If you can't, write the equation and see how it solved here). The answer is (2x+1)e^(-2x)/-4. Solving for when x = 0, we get -1/4. When x = -infinity, the answer is -infinity * infinity / 4, which can be written as -infinity and so we can now look at the whole integral. -1/4 - (infinity) = -infinity, thus the integral diverges.

Edit: Always get help and check your work kids. :D

Edited by Nomenclature
  • Like 1

Question 6 is just a Riemann sum. Plot the points on a piece of paper. Than connect the points with straightforward lines. Logically, what should you do to get the maximum area under the curve? (remember, the curve you just drew is an approximation using only a few points. The actual curves area may be greater or less than that of your curve.

Hopefully, you arrived at this conclusion on your own. Do think about it for a minute before reading on. You should split the curve into three parallelograms and to get the maximum area you should treat them as three rectangles where the width is the difference between the two x-values and height is that of the greater of the two y-value. To get the minimum area, do this but use the lesser of the two y-values.

The answer I got is:

Spoiler

21 sq. units for the maximum; 11 sq. units for the minimum

Edited by Nomenclature
  • Like 1

9a. Use formula booklet to look up the integral (arctan x) and get pi.

9b. f(-inf) approaches -infinity so intergal does not converge because integrand is not bounded.

10. udv = uv - vdu

C0MAEwK.png

If you look up Gamma function, 10b 10c should match the motivation to define such a function (analytic contiuation of the factorial). 

6. Assuming 4 is the max value (question is impossible if at say x=7.5 f(x) is huge number like 9000). Some intuition is needed. If rectangles for Riemann sum goes above the positive curve, you overestimates the integral; if the rectangles are within the curve, you are underestimating.

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

Question 6 is just a Riemann sum. Plot the points on a piece of paper. Than connect the points with straightforward lines. Logically, what should you do to get the maximum area under the curve? (remember, the curve you just drew is an approximation using only a few points. The actual curves area may be greater or less than that of your curve.

Hopefully, you arrived at this conclusion on your own. Do think about it for a minute before reading on. You should split the curve into three parallelograms and to get the maximum area you should treat them as three rectangles where the width is the difference between the two x-values and height is that of the greater of the two y-value. To get the minimum area, do this but use the lesser of the two y-values.

The answer I got is:

Hide contents

25 sq. units for the maximum; 11 sq. units for the minimum

Thanks for the explanation!!

But for the max., I got 21

3*3+2*4+1*4=21

• Like 2

6. 21, seconded. 

10c. It want you to say Gamma (N) = (n-1)!, which can be derived from parts a and b. Basically the integral form is function of both n and x, but they want it as function of just n. If you take more math courses, you will study more functions of multiple input variables as well as functions that use an integral as definition.

• Like 1