How to study for HL Math

KingCaptain

So I am in grade 11, and I have done about 6 months of HL math and I am struggling, I dont know how to study and how to push my grade up from a 3, I am fairly good at math but I just dont know how to prepare for the questions we see in the unit tests and quizzes. Our school does tests every unit. Please gimme some solid tips.

When you do a search on the keyword "tips" in the Math HL and Further forum you should return with at least dozens of results.

If you have access to past IB questions, those are helpful. If not doing the hardest questions in the textbook also works. So a common strategy is to do as many problems as you can, placing able to solve the question over solving it fast.

First step is you know how to at least start solving each question (on the test). This is basically writing down equations you should solve. Doing homework is not only to see a question type before exams but also develop problem solving strategies so you dont stare at blank page for too long.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 1:05 PM, KingCaptain said:

nothing?

Like what @kw0573 said, textbook questions and the textbook itself (personally recommend Haese or IBID) are good places to start. IBID gets a special mention as it has more rigorous questions than Haese, albeit the latter is better at explaining concepts. 

You're going to need to apply a rigorous regime of practice as well. A favorite of mine is to wake up early in the morning e.g. 5:30am and then work towards a goal in Maths e.g. solving ~5 questions or spend 30~min practicing questions of a certain concept. 5 questions doesn't sound too much, but multiply that over an entire semester + holiday break and you would have practiced 5(questions/day)*(30days/month)*7months = 1050 questions. Also keep in mind that most people who found success in Math HL tended to practice Maths for approximately 2 hours a day or even more. 

Lastly, look up online youtube videos on people solving past Maths HL papers. You get to see their thought processes, explanations, and useful advice. 

• Like 2