Change Math SL to Math Studies

dynamitefly

Hello, I am currently in my first year of the IB programme and I am considering changing my Math Standard Level to Math Studies. I have been working and studying really hard to improve in math but I have been stuck on a 4 ever since meanwhile my grades in all other subjects are going up. But, I am just worried it will affect the universities I want to apply to, my university guidance counsellor says I won't really be affected since I am looking to apply for medicine or economics. I mainly want to apply to universities in the US, where I believe they mostly look at how well you are performing and how high your grades are rather than how well you improve. 

Thank you!

I think that you will really be affected if you drop to math studies.Majority of econ courses require math HL, and medicine courses (I think) are fine with math SL. So , yeah dropping to studies places you at a huge disadvantage. I suggest that you keep math SL and work hard.

Hi!

Recently I was told by a friend who is a teacher at a school in the UAE that Math Studies will actually not be offered to the coming DP students for reasons I sadly forgot. I do however think that dropping down to Math Studies isn't the best choice. From what I have seen in multiple Universities is that they don't even mention anything about a Math Studies and always mention Maths SL/HL. Often times, they don't even mind which one you take and I often see that the minimum requirement is 5 for both HL and SL.

I hope this helps!