EE Dilemma - Is fantasy a viable option for an EE in A1 (English)

DaProcrastinator

I have been struggling in starting my EE lately. I would like to not that writing an extended essay in english language wasn't my first choice, but seeing that one in mathematics or physics is going to be 10x harder I chose English. Don't get me wrong, I love reading and writing, if I didn't I wouldn't have chosen it. 

Alright. My question is : Is fantasy a good genre to write about in an EE? I've seen successful essays on Lord of the Rings for example, and I am considering the trilogy as an option for my EE, but is fantasy as a genre a viable option? It is safe to say that the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin is on the top of my list if I were to write about fantasy, so this gets us to my second part of the question, is A Song of Ice and Fire good to write about? I am perfectly focusing on serious literary analysis/criticism, maybe putting one of the ASOIAF books in comparison with one of the LotR books, but not to jump to far away, can anyone help me in my struggle? Would be greatly appreciated as the idea has been growing on me lately since I saw many good aspects of the books and many people composing good research question about this series.