SAT or ACT?

JuanRehak

Okay, this question is not too related to IB, but I am doing the IB, and I will soon need to decide which of the exams to take. Both SAT and ACT are very similar, but at the same time, they are quite different. I hope some of you guys could help me out.

Which one should I take?

Here are some facts which will most probably influence the decision. 

I am not terribly bad at reading, but I do not like it.

I am not too good at writing + I do not like it. 

I am good at math + I like it. (I am also fine with non-calculator questions)

I would want to do tests from Physics and Chemistry. (I want to be a chemical engineer, so that's why) 

I am not too slow, but I would be glad for more time for the exam.

Of course, I want to somehow prepare for the exams, but I do not plan deep, hard studying of the topics.

If you need more details, feel free to ask me.

I will be happy for any answers!

Thank you for the help!

Both are treated basically the same by universities.

The ACT has a science section whereas the SAT doesn't. Also, the ACT has four sections plus an essay whereas the SAT has like 9 plus the essay. So, the SAT has short sections that jump back and forth between the subject instead of powering through an hour of one section. 

Personally, I liked the ACT better because the questions seemed more straightforward and, at the time, the essay didn't count towards the score. (I don't think it counts for the SAT anymore either now.) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

On 1/11/2018 at 2:01 AM, JuanRehak said:

Okay, this question is not too related to IB, but I am doing the IB, and I will soon need to decide which of the exams to take. Both SAT and ACT are very similar, but at the same time, they are quite different. I hope some of you guys could help me out.

Which one should I take?

Here are some facts which will most probably influence the decision. 

I am not terribly bad at reading, but I do not like it.

I am not too good at writing + I do not like it. 

I am good at math + I like it. (I am also fine with non-calculator questions)

I would want to do tests from Physics and Chemistry. (I want to be a chemical engineer, so that's why) 

I am not too slow, but I would be glad for more time for the exam.

Of course, I want to somehow prepare for the exams, but I do not plan deep, hard studying of the topics.

If you need more details, feel free to ask me.

I will be happy for any answers!

Thank you for the help!

It is totally up to you. If you prefer more challenging questions with more time, SAT is the better option, but if you like easier questions with less time, it is ACT. In my personal experience, doing the SAT questions used up a lot more time than it should have and it was equivalent to an ACT (except with more challenging questions). 

However, there are a few universities which accept 3 subject SAT tests instead of an SAT or ACT. Since you are interested in Physics and Chemistry, you can do your subject tests in Physics, Chemistry and Math Level 2.  Math Level 2 is equivalent to IB Math SL. Chemistry is equivalent to IB HL. I am not too sure about physics.

I hope this helped!