IB Choices

Harry Xu

Hello all,

I am currently an Year 11 (Grade 10) student.  I will be taking the Cambridge IGCSE for 9 subjects in May/June 2018.  The subjects that I take are below (with predicted grades):

Additional Maths (A*), English first Language (B), World Literature (A), Biology (A*), Chemistry(A*), Physics(A*), Music(A), Economics(A*), and Chinese first Language(A).

I will need to choose my IB subjects quite soon, and I am slightly indecisive regarding the science I want to choose.  I plan to study accounting / finance / (a business degree) in a competitive university.  I've heard from different people from my school with different opinions about the IB sciences, so I would like you to give me some advice please :D.  I find Chemistry as the easiest subject, in IGCSE by FAR, but I'm not really sure about IB.  

The IB courses I plan to take are:

HL: Economics, Maths, Chemistry

SL: Chinese A Lang and Lit, English Lang and Lit, Music

Do you think that taking Chemistry HL will be a wise choice considering that I will not study science in university?  I just want to get a 7 for science, with as little effort as possible.  I enjoy chemistry as well, and I heard that there is quite a lot of maths involved, which I like :D.  Please give me some advice on what HL science is worth considering.

In addition, if anyone could tell me a little more about the difference between English Literature and English Language and Literature, that would be great!  I'm not exactly great at languages, hence why I will be taking SL for Chinese and English.  Anyone taking Chinese A out there?

Thank you for your time,

Harry

Edited by Harry Xu