Can somebody explain how to conduct an "experiment" for a Comp Sci EE

SigmaStrike

Computer Science is considered by the IB to be an "experimental science". People have told me that your EE needs to have an experiment in order for it to score well. My question is, what does the IB mean when they state that an experiment has to be conducted for your investigation? For other sciences like physics or biology, experimentation is a fairly straightforward process, however, for Comp Sci how does one conduct such an experiment? 

The way I've understood it, the only way I can think of is to run a simulation of maybe an algorithm and collect data for the same. For example, you were investigating the performance of the A* algorithm in different circumstances(an example would 2D/3D game worlds). You would have to somehow find a way to simulate the situations you want to test and collect data. I'm no expert so I could be wrong on this. There might be other ways to conduct an experiment or the way described above might not be completely accurate(though I'm fairly certain its something along these lines). So, do your own research before arriving at a conclusion.