How do I get better at analysing poems/unseen texts in English A SL

alderstevens

Some of my tips for analysing poetry/prose:

1. Identify the message/purpose. Usually it will have a theme/topic like love/violence, pain/happiness, peace/death, etc. Look them up online if you like. 

2. Now find obvious sentences/phrases/words that relate to the theme. Shakespeare says "Thous eternal summer shall not fade" summer is associated with a sense of calm and beauty. That's a positive message, the rest of the poem tells you it's topic is love.

3. Also look for imagery and actually imagine them in your head to see how it make you feel, and what you think of. A poem about depression could describe the depth of something/ sinking into the oblivion, etc.

3. Next, look for sounds. Violent topics use sharp and hard sounding words such as kick, shock, pinch, etc, etc. 

4. You can follow some mnemonics like FLIRT (form, language, imagery, rhythm and rhyme, theme and tone). To develop your point, describe the impact created by what you have analysed. For example, after establishing how an image shows hatred, say how it links to the rest of the text and what the reader feels.

These are some of the things I do. Hope it helped! :) 

• Like 3

1. Practice. It helps to be familiar with the type of reading and close analysis you have to do. 

2. Come up with a general plan of attack. Know a handful of useful literary terms and apply them.

3. Don't worry about creating some profound discovery. Mundane analysis as long as it's decent will score well. 

Here are some tips that I've learnt in my literature classes:

1. Always look for literary techniques -- diction, imagery (tactile, olfactory, auditory etc..), personification, metaphors and the list go on. By including these terminologies into your essay, your essay will greatly improve since these are the key words that most markers are eyeing for.

2. Look at the text from the perspective of the writer. Why did the writer use these literary techniques? What effect does these techniques have on the reader?

3. Planning. Perhaps, the most overlooked strategy in any exam. Spend at least 10 to 15 minutes planning the structure of your essay and the quotes that shall be used in your analysis. The planning phase will save you a lot more time later in the exam.

On 24/01/2018 at 0:22 AM, Lixter said:

Here are some tips that I've learnt in my literature classes:

1. Always look for literary techniques -- diction, imagery (tactile, olfactory, auditory etc..), personification, metaphors and the list go on. By including these terminologies into your essay, your essay will greatly improve since these are the key words that most markers are eyeing for.

2. Look at the text from the perspective of the writer. Why did the writer use these literary techniques? What effect does these techniques have on the reader?

3. Planning. Perhaps, the most overlooked strategy in any exam. Spend at least 10 to 15 minutes planning the structure of your essay and the quotes that shall be used in your analysis. The planning phase will save you a lot more time later in the exam.

I agree with Lixter. One of the strongest parts of a good essay is the plan. If it isn't fairly strong, your whole writing will struggle to take an analytical form. 

With the literary techniques, definitely look up the effect on the reader - with that, study the mark scheme and bear the criteria in mind.

You should have knowledge and mention literary devices, but don't feel compelled to awkwardly throw in as many as you know. Take it easy. There's no prize for mentioning 5 or 10 or 30 devices :D 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...