History Extended Essay 10 year rule question

Chuk

I am writing my Extended Essay on the short-term effects of the dotcom bubble on the San Francisco Bay Area. I know that our subject has to be outside ten years (which it is), but am I allowed to reference things within ten years? Like I want to talk a little bit about how presently, 18 years later, there aren't many visible differences in the area caused by the bubble. I also kind of want to talk about how a place like Detroit had one major industry (automotive), and when that failed, the city struggled a lot harder than San Francisco did because the Bay Area has a few notable industries that kept it afloat (agriculture, heavy industry, tourism, housing). That crisis happened between 2008 and 2010, though.

What do you guys think?

I probably wouldn't go through with this topic. Even though the event itself is from over ten years ago, the body of your essay will be looking at its short-term effects — but you mentioned that these effects are taking place 'presently', which could break the ten year rule. It's better to play it safe and pick something from further back in history. Good luck!