Engineering admissions

Watrs

Hey, I'm a year one student taking SL Math, HL Chem, and HL Physics. Do most US universities accept IB students who take SL Math into their engineering programs? For instance, would Texas Austin, Michigan, Purdue, etc... accept such a student? What score in math would a student need to be accepted? 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey Watrs!

This really depends on the type of engineering you wish to pursue, and no score can guarantee your admission into a university. American Universities look at multiple aspects of their applicants. Engineering is normally very math oriented so a HL is highly recommended, but it is still possible to get an undergrad degree in engineering with a Math SL course as well. Normally, a score of 6 or 7  is appreciated for HL courses.

I hope this helped!

On 1/21/2018 at 1:49 AM, Watrs said:

Hey, I'm a year one student taking SL Math, HL Chem, and HL Physics. Do most US universities accept IB students who take SL Math into their engineering programs? For instance, would Texas Austin, Michigan, Purdue, etc... accept such a student? What score in math would a student need to be accepted? 

Thanks in advance.

Taking SL Maths wouldn't disadvantage you in actual U.S. Engineering curricula, however, taking Maths HL does make your application more competitive. 

I personally took Maths SL and upon transferring to my university's engineering program, found the math extremely cope-able. Just to make life even easier though, I would swap Chemistry HL with Math HL depending on the engineering you plan on going into. If you plan on keeping SL Math, doing well on the SAT Math II subject test will more than make up for not taking Math HL to admissions.