What can I do about school graduation requirements?

RAWR!

My schools graduation requirements states I must take Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and then choose a fourth year science of my choice, BUT, physics annoys me and I really like Biology and Chemistry. I planned on taking science, history and english (and possibly psych) HL, but how would i work this out? Ive been trying to talk with my IB Coordinator but, as it should be, IB students are first on the list, so its a long wait.

If you were/are in this situation, what did you do?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

You could do it at my school... but physics wasn't an IB subject.

At our school, we had to get some of the graduation requirements waived because there was NO way we could complete them. Maybe your IBC can talk to the Department of Education [or whatever you call it in the USA] and get them to exempt you from it?

It is definatly possible to have 3 sciences, however, the diploma is then not considered a full IB diploma (it has some wierd name don't remember)

IB allows this as some students need 3 sciences to be able to come into medicin in their home country. Often thus a social science is dropped so that the student is able to take all three sciences. Even though it is allowed most schools don't have it. I tried to convince my IB-cordinator that we ought to be allowed to do this, however, he argued that as it is not a full IB diplome, some univercity's wont recognize the diplome. So if the student chooses to take 3 sciences and then changes its mind, then you end up with a limit choice of university. (not that i wanted to take 3 sciences, i just wanted people to have a free choice)

The reason why IB does not want to grant a full "normal" diploma to these students is that they want to incourage students to be more educated in all kinds of different subjects. Also subjects as TOK might get harder without a social science to refer to. IB wants well rounded student who have a wide variety of experiences. (However, I still not get why they allow Environmental Systems (and societies it is named in the new syllabus) because it works againt this principle of students with a background in a big variety of subjects.

That is about what i know about this (oh yeah, and i could be totally wrong aswell, so apply some TOK critisism on this)

But try to find some good arguments and kick your IB cordinators ass, when you convince them to let you do what you want :angrymob:

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you mean is that you take 3 sciences over the 4 years of high school. If i am correct then that is okay, and don't worry, physics isn't really as hard as everyone thinks. I think if you study everything that you take daily and do some past papers here and there, you'll get really good at it. I'm talking from experience.