Physics IA

Throbbert

What I am going to say may sound really, really controversial but I still find it to be good advice for anyone doing an IA. 

My question to you is: Is there a reason as to why you would want to investigate the change in refractive index of water with varying concentrations of sugar? (Passion? Topic given by teacher?)

Whenever I do my IAs or other course work, I would usually think of how my research would contribute to the field of study or society in general. For instance, I used to have a statistics project  whereby our topic was using any statistical method that we had learnt in the school term. At first, I wanted to find out more about the relationship between the span of your arms and your height. However, after a series of consultation with my math teacher, I decided to do a math IA that looks into the normal distribution of packets of sugar to observe if businesses are ripping us off XD. Afterwards, I got 38/40 for the very same project. Whereas, the rest of my classmates whose question is similar to yours scored significantly lower (25-35 marks). So, unless if your teacher gave you a topic that was about refractive index of liquids, perhaps you should look into other topics that may have a greater "impact" to the field of study or a larger community.

As I have said, this is just my personal opinion as to how I would approach any of my IAs. 

Right, thank you for your insight.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate you taking time to write a response. Yes, my teacher did sort of guide me towards that IA, and Topic 4 was the topic I have so-far scored highest on. 

The problem for me is that I have no particular passion for physics; yes I enjoy it, but I have no idea how anything I am passionate about (music, military history, etc.) could be worked into an IA.

Thank you so much for your help, though

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Throbbert said:

Right, thank you for your insight.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate you taking time to write a response. Yes, my teacher did sort of guide me towards that IA, and Topic 4 was the topic I have so-far scored highest on. 

The problem for me is that I have no particular passion for physics; yes I enjoy it, but I have no idea how anything I am passionate about (music, military history, etc.) could be worked into an IA.

Thank you so much for your help, though

You're welcome! All the best with your Physics IA! :D 

• Like 1