Math IA-rock, paper, scissors

laurenazcarate

Isn't the probability of winning rock paper scissors just 1/3? You have 1/3 chance that both hands are the same (eg. both are scissors), 1/3 chance that you win (eg. scissors lose to rock) , 1/3 chance you lose (eg. scissors wins paper). I suggest you to find a more complicated Math IA topic.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really 1/3. That's what it seems at first, but try drawing out a table of outcomes and their probability of occurring. Also, it would be interesting to take into account human psychology and their behavourial patterns, as it changes in response to previous rounds. https://ibmathsresources.com/2015/08/29/how-to-win-at-rock-paper-scissors/

6 hours ago, Vsu said:

It's not really 1/3. That's what it seems at first, but try drawing out a table of outcomes and their probability of occurring. Also, it would be interesting to take into account human psychology and their behavourial patterns, as it changes in response to previous rounds. https://ibmathsresources.com/2015/08/29/how-to-win-at-rock-paper-scissors/

However, the amount of mathematics involved in this IA would be so minimal since you are exploring human psychology and behavioral patterns. This would decrease your overall marks for your Math IA.

20 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

I would be very surprised if your supervisor approves this topic. You should explore several topics during the brainstorm stage. I highly dissuade you from picking a topic and trying to make it work, especially if you do not "have any numbers". 

Um, I'm not the person that asked nor is wanting to do this for their Maths IA, so I'm not sure why you quoted/replied to me. That was just a link that explained game theory in terms of scissors, papers, rock that I thought might help the OP if they really wanted to do this one. 

• Like 1