Help getting over a mark you don't understand?

anathema

I was awarded a C in TOK (16/30 - the grade boundary) for the Nov 17 session when I was predicted an A. This was a 10/10 on the oral, which was moderated to an 8/10 and a 4/10 on the essay. Having been predicted a high A on my essay, this was completely unexpected by me and my teacher. My Cat 1 EUR failed and when I asked for a Cat 2 EUR, there were no comments on my paper.

I was wondering if anyone has been in similar situations where they received a mark that they honestly can't make sense of (in any subject), and how you went about coming to terms with the reality once you knew the mark was fixed. (That one mark was the difference between a 44 and a 45 and all the scholarships that go with it at my university, so I've been replaying all the ways I could have done things differently in my head). I would really appreciate any advice other IB alumni have in regard to how to move on from a frustrating IB mark. 

Thanks so much <3

31 minutes ago, anathema said:

I was awarded a C in TOK (16/30 - the grade boundary) for the Nov 17 session when I was predicted an A. This was a 10/10 on the oral, which was moderated to an 8/10 and a 4/10 on the essay. Having been predicted a high A on my essay, this was completely unexpected by me and my teacher. My Cat 1 EUR failed and when I asked for a Cat 2 EUR, there were no comments on my paper.

I was wondering if anyone has been in similar situations where they received a mark that they honestly can't make sense of (in any subject), and how you went about coming to terms with the reality once you knew the mark was fixed. (That one mark was the difference between a 44 and a 45 and all the scholarships that go with it at my university, so I've been replaying all the ways I could have done things differently in my head). I would really appreciate any advice other IB alumni have in regard to how to move on from a frustrating IB mark. 

Thanks so much <3

My TOK was a C as well from a predicted A. Originally predicted 9/10 on presentation & 9/10 on essay – got a 7/10 for presentation and 3/10 for essay. My essay was marked by two TOK teachers at my school; 4 people including my DPC were involved in moderating all the TOK presentations. 

My EE, predicted a high B, got a low C, despite it being moderated by all 3 English teachers at my school's English department. The previous year, the only two English EEs from my school, which were both predicted As by the same teachers, received a 32/36 and 36/36 from the IB. 

In English Language & Literature SL, I received an 18/20 for Paper 1, 19/20 on my Written Task, 25/30 for orals, and a 10/25 on my Paper 2. This prevented me from getting a 7 in the subject. It was weird, to say the least, seeing a 3/7 along with all 7/7s in the subject's component grade boundaries.

Overall, this contributed to the -3 points difference from my predicted grade. I was devastated honestly. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the IB experienced budget cuts and had to resort to hiring chimpanzees from local rainforests to supplement their examiner labor force. As for moving on, you'll just think less about it over time. It took me 6 months to stop feeling so disappointed by it, but even now it's still an unpleasant thought. Even in college the IB is so obscure I've given up on expecting any recognition for having done the program. The best you can hope for is working harder towards an even greater achievement that would dwarf the chase for a 45. 

Edited by IB`NOT`ez