IB EE on Music

Samantha R.

So to start this off, my school is new to IB and my class are the first group to go through this IB system. And as of now we are starting to work on the extended essay part of our diploma.

I have chosen music as my topic but since my school is new to IB and so is my supervisor, I am not entirely sure what to write about and I am not sure if he does either.

Actually I am sort of lying, I sort of do know but I am not sure if it is really up to IB's standards.

Here is what my advisor suggested. 

"How was music portrayed in Shakespeare's plays during the renaissance era?"

(I hope you understand what I am trying to say)

I'm not sure if it is up to the standards of the music portion in the extended essay. Although I hope I can settle with this question, I just need some advice on it and if it is good enough to write about.

All is appreciated, thank you. :)

Edited by Samantha R.

Hello Samantha! My largest concern with this EE question is that the research scope may be too wide. My suggestion to you would be to narrow down its research scope by specializing on an effect caused by music in Shakespeare's plays. For eg. How does music alter the atmosphere/mood in Shakespeare's plays during the renaissance era? Other possibilities could be: impact on the audience's emotions (building up to its ultimate emotional catharsis), foreboding of certain events etc. 

Hope this helps! :) 

Hello Samantha!

Essentially, the message that I was trying to bring forth is that the topic question needs to be more specific and concise. By using your previous question (How was music portrayed... during the Renaissance era), you would be merely listing down the various effects of music, therefore your overall analysis will become shallow. However, that is not what you want for your EE. You need to go more in-depth with the topic that you have selected. In order to do so, you could try remodeling your question whereby you name one specific area/effect of music in Shakespeare's plays and further explore this effect throughout all of his plays. As for what effects you can talk about, I have cited some possibilities in which you could use for your EE question. 

Hope this clarifies any doubts you had! :)  

• Like 1

Hello again! I'm sorry if I am being a bother but I just wanted to to update you on what I think might be good. 

So I was researching about Music and the extended essay and from what I gathered we must choose two pieces and analyze them. I recall you saying that we have to research a specific area and an effect so I spoke with my advisor. He suggest that I write about how the music portrays the characters in Shakespeare's plays. For example, there is a part in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" where the violins are playing at a rapid speed and that tempo represent the fairies. 

Is that something that I could research over? 

Again sorry for being a bother, but thank you. :)