General Questions about the IB Program

IBPossible

Hi everyone.

I'm really sorry in advance if these are completely silly, or rather, noobish questions. But anyhow I had some general questions regarding the IB Program if no one would mind answering them for me:

• General things I should know about IB
    • Prior to doing IB, like before Pre-IB, I didn't know there were things such as IA's or IOP's, and things of that sort. What other things I guess should I know about, if anything?
  • How do you get college credits with IB?
    • Like I know with Dual Enrollment (as far as I've heard) you get college credits because you're taking actual college classes. I know when you do things such as IOPs you get graded on it, which goes towards your overall IB grade. What do they mean by overall IB grade? And how does that factor into you getting college credit from IB? (Aside from the fact that you didn't pass the IOP). Don't you just have to meet other requirements, and pass your IB final, final assessments in order to get your college credits (just like the AP program?)
  • I'm only taking IB English Literature, IB Biology, and IB Personal and Professional Skills. Does that mean I'll only get credit for just IB English Literature, and IB Biology (if I pass the exams?)
    • Does that mean if I met the requirements, and passed the corresponding IB exams for each class, I'll only get credit for English, and Biology?
    • I'm doing IBCP if that explains why I only have three (well, really, two) IB classes.

Thanks!

:)

Hello there! 

3 minutes ago, IBPossible said:
    • Prior to doing IB, like before Pre-IB, I didn't know there were things such as IA's or IOP's, and things of that sort. What other things I guess should I know about, if anything?

There are other components such as Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Extended Essay (EE) and Creativity, Action and Service (CAS). These are the 3 core components of the IB curriculum. You can learn more about them through the other posts in the forum, for it will be quite tedious to explain each and every component.

5 minutes ago, IBPossible said:
  • How do you get college credits with IB?
    • Like I know with Dual Enrollment (as far as I've heard) you get college credits because you're taking actual college classes. I know when you do things such as IOPs you get graded on it, which goes towards your overall IB grade. What do they mean by overall IB grade? And how does that factor into you getting college credit from IB? (Aside from the fact that you didn't pass the IOP). Don't you just have to meet other requirements, and pass your IB final, final assessments in order to get your college credits (just like the AP program?

• I'm only taking IB English Literature, IB Biology, and IB Personal and Professional Skills. Does that mean I'll only get credit for just IB English Literature, and IB Biology (if I pass the exams?)
    • Does that mean if I met the requirements, and passed the corresponding IB exams for each class, I'll only get credit for English, and Biology?
    • I'm doing IBCP if that explains why I only have three (well, really, two) IB classes.

I cannot help you much with these 2 questions as the requirements of my school is to merely pass the IB (24 points and above). Also, we do not have a "college credit" system in my country. You should consult your teacher-in-charge for more information. 

All the best with your IB journey! :P 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lixter said:

Hello there! 

There are other components such as Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Extended Essay (EE) and Creativity, Action and Service (CAS). These are the 3 core components of the IB curriculum. You can learn more about them through the other posts in the forum, for it will be quite tedious to explain each and every component.

I cannot help you much with these 2 questions as the requirements of my school is to merely pass the IB (24 points and above). Also, we do not have a "college credit" system in my country. You should consult your teacher-in-charge for more information. 

All the best with your IB journey! :P 

Hi there,

Thank you for at least replying back to my post. The information you provided was helpful. And I hope the best for you as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IBPossible said:

There's FOAs in English, and Written Tasks. They make up part of your grade that you receive at the end of the year. There's many different things for different subjects so your best bet is to google the syllabi of the subjects you're interested in. They go more into detail regarding things you have to do as part of the course :)

16 hours ago, IBPossible said:

Thanks!

As long as you take the classes higher level then you will receive college credit (depending on the college it has to be between grade 4 and 6). :yep: 

• Like 1