IB counsellor problems

I'd just like to share one of my worst IB counsellor experiences when I moved to my new school in 12th grade. So I had already received my predicted grades from my old school and I was quite anxious and excited to know how much I got. I did keep in mind that predicted grades do not necessarily predict my future grades and are subject to changes, but since some universities need it for sending offers, I had to pay heed to it. 

The new school's counsellor was quite... hmmm aggravating tbh. Although I think she was stressed about managing all the IB students, I sympathized for her. But then it got worse, she started to become mean to me although we had some good times where she was kind, but mostly she became quite inconsiderate. 

To the worst part now, the counsellor told me that my predicted grade from my old school was a high 30's. But for the new year at the new school, the counsellor told me that I got a predicted grade of a 28 even though I know that I did not fail any courses or anything. After some heart throbbing-stressful-anxious-palpitating-melancholic-feeling worthless-unhappiness-mistake-of-taking-IB diploma moments, she tells me she forgot to get predicted from 3 other courses, so that was quite stressful and inconsiderate of her because I freaked about this the whole day. Even then, getting 28 from only 4 courses means I got 7's in all which is unbelievable because she told me some of the predicted grades I got from certain subjects, and they were not 7, so this is definitely fishy and does not make me feel good again at all. 

So I sent an email asking how much my new predicted is and there has been no replies, some students even speculate that the counsellor will be sending in predicted grades soon to colleges, and I haven't been consulted about my predicted at all, even until now. The inconsideration in part of some IB counsellors, even if they tend to be having a bad week, can be quite dangerous as I have come to know. Their mood swings and aggravation towards us stressed out-losing our minds-near to exams- IB diploma students can in turn affect or devastate our futures, such as mine. 

But, perhaps it will get better and things will return to being normal again. Anyone else has had similar or other counsellor problems in IB? 

Edited by Quastine

Hello Quastine!

Does the school principal or IB coordinator know about this? This sounds like a rather serious problem. If you have yet to inform your teachers/ IB coordinator, you should do so immediately. You do not want this to jeopardize your chances in getting into your university.  

4 minutes ago, Lixter said:

Hello Quastine!

Does the school principal or IB coordinator know about this? This sounds like a rather serious problem. If you have yet to inform your teachers/ IB coordinator, you should do so immediately. You do not want this to jeopardize your chances in getting into your university.  

I am currently waiting for a reply from the counsellor about my new predicted grades and hopefully the new predicted will be closer to the score I got last year from my different school, if it isn't and there is still a problem, then I will have to take different measurements, like you mentioned. Hopefully it does not come to that. But thanks for the reply!