MATH SL IA SIR MODEL NOT ADEQUATE ENOUGH FOR IB MATH SL SYLLABUS?

KingA

So recently I just received feedback from my teacher regarding my firts draft for my Math IA. I got 2/6 for criteria E because apparently my IA didn't commensurate with the level of the syllabus. I found this rather surprising since previous SIR Model Math IA's have score very well in this criteria and in overall. My teacher said I need to demonstrate my level of understanding and knowledge by using differential equations in more depth..which is HL. So who is in the wrong here? My math regarding the model is correct. Will the IB moderate my IA up? And how do I talk about differential equations in more depth? I did some calculations with the equations to get the rate of change of each individual components of the model and graphed them. But that's it. And now my teacher penalized me heavily because I didn't use the right level of math. Please help me!

Well, it's hard for us to deduce exactly what the issue might be. The model being correct doesn't necessarily mean it will score high - how did you explore the topic in your IA? And did you show this exploration? The examiner wants to see that, and it will help you get the marks. 

I wouldn't count on IB moderating it up as your only option. Depending on your class size, your IA might not be selected and as such you'll get the grade your teacher gave you provided the other IAs that have been sent don't get moderated heavily. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mac117 said:

Well, it's hard for us to deduce exactly what the issue might be. The model being correct doesn't necessarily mean it will score high - how did you explore the topic in your IA? And did you show this exploration? The examiner wants to see that, and it will help you get the marks. 

I wouldn't count on IB moderating it up as your only option. Depending on your class size, your IA might not be selected and as such you'll get the grade your teacher gave you provided the other IAs that have been sent don't get moderated heavily. 

Well. I firstly defined and explained all the variables and also the parameters (R0 value, transmission rates etc), and then I used these variables to come up with the three differential equations in the SIR model. I didn't necessarily derive the equations, I just mentioned that "With these variables in mind, the following equations are derived" and then stated and explained the equations. After that I applied those equations to the 2009 Swine Flu Pandemic across three different countries and compared and contrasted their graphs. I followed a similar structure to the one IBO published on their website (Example 15) which scored really high marks, especially in criterion E (6/6) whereas mine scored 2/6 even though the math was pretty similar with the exception of the disease epidemic  and data of course. I scored well in the other criterias with mostly 4's and 3's.