chemistry HL - is there hope?

yara560

Hey guys, so in our recent mock exams, I got the grand total of 3 for my chemistry mock, which includes paper 1 and paper 2. I did significantly worse is paper 2, and what I want to know is if there is any hope of getting a 6 in the final exams. I have major gaps in my knowledge especially when it comes to explaining concepts and applying knowledge. I have to confess that I didn't study as much as I should have, but at that point I had just given up because there was too much to revise in too little time. What I want to know is if you guys have any tips or anything at all that could help me. Richard thornley and MSJ chem's videos do help with understanding the concepts but when it comes to answering questions I'm hopeless. I don't really have access to past papers or IB style questions. I only have a few past papers that I want to save for march/April. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm in a bit of a crisis at the moment. 

Don't give up yet! There is still a chance that you may get 6 points in the exam, however, this would involve a lot of hard work on your part. The best thing to do is go through your textbook thoroughly and note the chapters in which you are not clear about. Afterwards, look through your past worksheets and check for a pattern (a repeated mistake - for eg. excluding a key word in your answer/ explanation of a process is incomplete/ fail to use proper terminologies appropriately). Keep in mind these mistakes and consult your teacher on them while asking your chemistry teacher for 1 to 1 assistance on those chapters that you aren't confident with. I did this 2 years ago and my grade jumped from a 5 points to 6 points in less than a month! So don't be discouraged! You can do it! :D 

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lixter said:

Don't give up yet! There is still a chance that you may get 6 points in the exam, however, this would involve a lot of hard work on your part. The best thing to do is go through your textbook thoroughly and note the chapters in which you are not clear about. Afterwards, look through your past worksheets and check for a pattern (a repeated mistake - for eg. excluding a key word in your answer/ explanation of a process is incomplete/ fail to use proper terminologies appropriately). Keep in mind these mistakes and consult your teacher on them while asking your chemistry teacher for 1 to 1 assistance on those chapters that you aren't confident with. I did this 2 years ago and my grade jumped from a 5 points to 6 points in less than a month! So don't be discouraged! You can do it! :D 

Hope this helps! :)

thank you, this certainly helps!! 

• Like 1