TOK Essay Emergency

ABKor752

Alright, so I am furious and panicking right now. I finished my TOK essay over a month ago, something I slaved over. I did the suspension of disbelief title, and back in September, I asked my teacher if having the arts as one of my two areas of knowledge was okay, and he said that was fine. I turned it in for him to submit. But now, guess what? I just read I'm not allowed to use the arts for that title. I don't know exactly the mechanics behind it, though. I focused on "music" in the arts, which is different from "theater" (which the title specifies), so can I get away with it? Or do I have to rewrite it all together? Is there any hope?

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate that. Thank you.

Oof, that's rough. I mean, hopefully it can just be modified, right? The title and clarifications said to reference 2 AOKs other than the arts, so you should already have one, maybe just take out music and replace it with something else? Off the top of my head, math (I know need some suspension of disbelief to accept that numbers on a page represent anything other than some weird abstract concept.) Maybe you could recycle ideas from your music section to tie it back to the arts, about how rhythm in music is mathematical or something, not sure.

Best of luck.

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your situation, it's really unfortunate. Your teacher should have been informed much quicker about the change. Unless you are willing to sacrifice your grade in the essay, I would advise a change in the way you structure your arguments, and which of the AOK you use for this question. I know this is not an optimal situation, as exams are coming up and you would like to perhaps focus on other things, but you will be moderated down if you decide not to change the arts for a different AOK.

If you need an extension, I would talk to your IB coordinator or the principal, and explain the situation. They should be understanding.