Jump to content

I can't get into a engineering field without hl physics??

Recommended Posts

hey,  

(English is not my first language so excuse the poor grammar, but I'm sure most people would get what I'm saying here)

So I think I am in trouble. I've tried for the past 5 months to solve and understand this issue. Let me tell you the whole story right from the beginning, so I enrolled into IB this year with only two GCSEs in my hand both of which I managed to screw up, D in business and B in math. Now I know I may seem stupid with those grades but I've never cared of school and studies till now and these past 5 months I've been completely reformed. I was forced to be in MATH STUDIES, but I knew I what I wanted to do in the future and that was to be an engineer. So I worked my ass off and got to HIGHER LEVEL MATH  through self-studying their topics by myself and taking their monthly tests and ****ing proved the school I wasn't a donkey. After all that, I was happy I got in and satisfied with myself  ( this could be an inspirational story to those who think they're dumb just cuz they did badly in one test), but my troubles didn't end there. After some surfing on uni applications for engineering, they all seem to require Math HL and PHYSICS HL!! Ok look I love physics I wish I could do HL but I'm just too far into the school year for them to accept me to join that class. I'm in physics SL btw so there might be a chance they'll accept me? I don't know tbh and its really bugging me. I looked at the difference between HL and SL physics and there is are 4 topics apart. Like srsly I don't get accepted due to not studying 4 chapters? Ok so I've heard of foundation year, but that's a total waste of my time for not doing 4 topics of physics! I'm however prepared for it if there is no option. Also this new school I'm in looks at my GCSE grades and uses them to place me in the right classes, like **** off, Math studies to Math Higher level.:disgust: Anyways I came to this site for help from people and to see if anyone is in a similar situation as I am. So if u guys have any advice for me and stuff pls do say I really need to solve this issue quickly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of UK, SL Physics and HL Math can get into many good engineering schools. Applicants to UK and possibly some places in Europe are very competitive in course load. HL Physics particularly is not all that rigorous because it is algebra- not calculus based. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mainly lurk IBSurvival but never really bothered to make an account, however, as a fellow student in the UAE, I believe I can be of some help. If you can't get into engineering now, I'd suggest you do an engineering foundation course. You'll have to ace that and get a really, really high GPA to be accepted into an actual undergraduate engineering degree.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Outside of UK, SL Physics and HL Math can get into many good engineering schools. Applicants to UK and possibly some places in Europe are very competitive in course load. HL Physics particularly is not all that rigorous because it is algebra- not calculus based. 

Thank you for replying, and the advice. I'll be doing further research into that but you gave me some hope and I feel a little relaxed. Thanks again!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bondle said:

I mainly lurk IBSurvival but never really bothered to make an account, however, as a fellow student in the UAE, I believe I can be of some help. If you can't get into engineering now, I'd suggest you do an engineering foundation course. You'll have to ace that and get a really, really high GPA to be accepted into an actual undergraduate engineering degree.

Sounds good but I seriously don't wanna be wasting a year on things I've mostly done before, it is still an option but I want that to be the last resort for now. Thank you for replying it helped me relax a bit. You live in the UAE right, well enjoy the weather now before we're cooked alive in a few months is all I can say. Thanks again.

Edited by Jahanzeb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jahanzeb said:

hey,  

(English is not my first language so excuse the poor grammar, but I'm sure most people would get what I'm saying here)

So I think I am in trouble. I've tried for the past 5 months to solve and understand this issue. Let me tell you the whole story right from the beginning, so I enrolled into IB this year with only two GCSEs in my hand both of which I managed to screw up, D in business and B in math. Now I know I may seem stupid with those grades but I've never cared of school and studies till now and these past 5 months I've been completely reformed. I was forced to be in MATH STUDIES, but I knew I what I wanted to do in the future and that was to be an engineer. So I worked my ass off and got to HIGHER LEVEL MATH  through self-studying their topics by myself and taking their monthly tests and ****ing proved the school I wasn't a donkey. After all that, I was happy I got in and satisfied with myself  ( this could be an inspirational story to those who think they're dumb just cuz they did badly in one test), but my troubles didn't end there. After some surfing on uni applications for engineering, they all seem to require Math HL and PHYSICS HL even for IES exam!! Ok look I love physics I wish I could do HL but I'm just too far into the school year for them to accept me to join that class. I'm in physics SL btw so there might be a chance they'll accept me? I don't know tbh and its really bugging me. I looked at the difference between HL and SL physics and there is are 4 topics apart. Like srsly I don't get accepted due to not studying 4 chapters? Ok so I've heard of foundation year, but that's a total waste of my time for not doing 4 topics of physics! I'm however prepared for it if there is no option. Also this new school I'm in looks at my GCSE grades and uses them to place me in the right classes, like **** off, Math studies to Math Higher level.:disgust: Anyways I came to this site for help from people and to see if anyone is in a similar situation as I am. So if u guys have any advice for me and stuff pls do say I really need to solve this issue quickly.  

Hey I'm going to uni this year. 

From my experience, if you're looking at a good university. Physics SL won't cut it. Only Physics HL, and taking Physics HL also gives you advantage as you are more likely to be picked.

For engineering Maths HL and Physics HL are much better, Maths Sl might be accepted, but its better both HL. Maths HL is basically required for Applied Mathematics so physics SL can cut it for Applied Maths.

Just remember one thing though, there are tons, and I mean tons of online resources to help you with Maths and Physics. 

Quote

 

 

Edited by Shreya421

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2018 at 0:15 PM, Shreya421 said:

Hey I'm going to uni this year. 

From my experience, if you're looking at a good university. Physics SL won't cut it. Only Physics HL, and taking Physics HL also gives you advantage as you are more likely to be picked.

For engineering Maths HL and Physics HL are much better, Maths Sl might be accepted, but its better both HL. Maths HL is basically required for Applied Mathematics so physics SL can cut it for Applied Maths.

Just remember one thing though, there are tons, and I mean tons of online resources to help you with Maths and Physics. 

 

Hey, thanks for replying.

I don't get what u mean by online resources, how is that going to help me get into a good uni? I mean I can't change subjects now. I'm doing the SAT physics and Math level 2 this year to increase my chances of getting in as much as possible btw. Anyways thanks for the informative advice, much appreciated. 

Edited by Jahanzeb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jahanzeb said:

Hey, thanks for replying.

I don't get what u mean by online resources, how is that going to help me get into a good uni? I mean I can't change subjects now. I'm doing the SAT physics and Math level 2 this year to increase my chances of getting in as much as possible btw. Anyways thanks for the informative advice, much appreciated. 

Shreya meant that you should not be too concerned with the fact that you're weak in Physics since there are a lot of online resources that can help you improve your understanding on Physics. I hope this clarifies any doubts you have. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lixter said:

Shreya meant that you should not be too concerned with the fact that you're weak in Physics since there are a lot of online resources that can help you improve your understanding on Physics. I hope this clarifies any doubts you have. :D

haha ok, I'm good at physics. Its just the fact I didn't do the gcse for it the school has put me in SL. Thanks for the clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are applying to the UK, then you need HL physics for most types of engineering but HL chemistry would let you apply for chemical engineering. US on the other hand would be willing to take you into their engineering program with SL physics provided you take some physics courses in first year of uni. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.