How hard is it to get accepted into a dutch university with 25 points?

Guest juliete

Guest juliete

Hey guys! 

I am super stressed at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I have been applying to different universities in Holland (Maastricht, Groningen, Tilburg and Leiden) but I have only got 25 points in my IB diploma. Now I am so scared of being rejected since I have got no plan B at the moment and don't consider going through the stress again and retaking my IB exams...

Would anyone be able to let me know how hard is it to get into one of those unis?

Thanks a lot. 

The competition will be very fierce. Considering universities in Singapore require at least 38 points for most courses, 25 points is a really low score. I don't know what course you will be attending and its requirements hence I can't really provide much insight. Perhaps you could elaborate on the courses you are taking? o.o

Actually, many univerisities in the Netherlands only want you to pass the 'IB' as an entry requirement, and the IB programme in general is regarded quite highly. I think you stand a good chance of getting in with your grades, provided you could demonstrate that you are interested in your specific subject and motivated as a student. The last two aspects may be more important than your overall IB score, as universities in the Netherlands typically want you to complete your degree in the specified time - they need to carry part of the costs if you need longer than the regular time + one term/year.

Therefore, as long as you meet the requirements for the courses you applied to, you will porbably be fine.

Yeah, it can be quite stressful/frustrating when you don't here back from your unis within a short time span, as you start to doubt yourself. But considering you have fairly "normal" subject choices, I don't think your unis would care too much about your grades. Provided they think you'll do well in their course, they should be willing to accept you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I got accepted into a university college in the netherlands with only 29 points. University colleges are pretty competitive so I was surprised that I got accepted. Regular universities however, like the ones you mentioned, will for sure take you depending on the course that you pick though. A bunch of people I know got into universities in the netherlands with 24/25/26 points.

Most universities also want motivation letters & interviews and this is where you really sell yourself - so if you have any extracurriculars or noteable events you took part in then this is where you express them. What I tell myself is I should be arrogant/show-off a bit but not too much, just to the point where you convince the admission officers to select you rather than some other candidate. 

I would start applying now though since spots are filling up & most colleges have rolling-admissions meaning first come first serve. Good luck & if u have any questions regarding the admissions process let me know.