EE - which subject to choose?

SusyArbusy

Hello everyone :)

I am willing to apply for medicine in the UK. I am aware of the competitiveness of this course and thus, I would like to maximize my chances of getting in. 

I know that medical universities perceive more favourably candidates with an EE in biology as it proves their interest in the area. However, to what extent is it taken into account?

My point is, writing an EE in science and getting and A is difficult and definitely more risky in comparison to other subjects.

My dilemma is: Is it better to write an EE in biology and risk getting a worse grade but having a science topic as an advantage?

OR Would it be more secure for me to do an EE in English B, while in all likelihood putting the same effort (as in bio EE) it would provide a sure A?

All in all, which option is more reasonable to choose? Do universities value more following your area of interest or do they firstly consider points?

What do you think?

Thank you for all your opinions! :)

I think it depends on the university you're applying to.

Some universities see that doing an EE in science or maths (which is obviously very challenging) reflects that the student is a risk taker and is willing to carry out a real scientific research. And accordingly, they don't pay much attention to whether you got an A or not (but I'm not saying go and get a D!). These universities see that "IB is all about taking risks and challenging yourself", and if u choose a "relatively" easy subject, they'll take it as if you've just chosen the easier way to get more points.

Other universities don't pay much attention to the topic of your extended essay and just count your points in IB. 

I don't know much about how UK universities evaluate it honestly. But I'd say if you already have a college list, start contacting some admission officers from those universities and ask about how they evaluate the EE. 

Good luck :) 

• Like 1

Though it may be true that some universities look at your EE, I don't believe that choosing a science-related EE will drastically boost your chances into getting a course. At most, it gives you a conversation topic for your interviewer during the selection process. Also, some universities also look for holistically developed students so choosing another subject for your EE like literature may even be beneficial instead. Just go with a topic you are truly interested with and follow through it. :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AmanyMahran said:

I think it depends on the university you're applying to.

Some universities see that doing an EE in science or maths (which is obviously very challenging) reflects that the student is a risk taker and is willing to carry out a real scientific research. And accordingly, they don't pay much attention to whether you got an A or not (but I'm not saying go and get a D!). These universities see that "IB is all about taking risks and challenging yourself", and if u choose a "relatively" easy subject, they'll take it as if you've just chosen the easier way to get more points.

Other universities don't pay much attention to the topic of your extended essay and just count your points in IB. 

I don't know much about how UK universities evaluate it honestly. But I'd say if you already have a college list, start contacting some admission officers from those universities and ask about how they evaluate the EE. 

Good luck :) 

That's true, I should contact particular universities to get to know what they value the most in the applying process. 

Thanks! ;)

21 hours ago, Lixter said:

Though it may be true that some universities look at your EE, I don't believe that choosing a science-related EE will drastically boost your chances into getting a course. At most, it gives you a conversation topic for your interviewer during the selection process. Also, some universities also look for holistically developed students so choosing another subject for your EE like literature may even be beneficial instead. Just go with a topic you are truly interested with and follow through it. :)

I haven't considered this point of view - indeed, versatility of interests might be an advantage.

Thank you! :)