Hi, I am currently in MYP5, going into DP1 soon. 

I am wondering if the Economics IB course is required to be taken if I wish to study Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Business Management, etc. in Universities in Canada/America.

I am currently studying in Sweden. I am also taking Math Studies.

Hey,

So to the best of my knowledge, Econ is needed for Business courses. So Econ HL is a must (9/10 times if I remember right).

Also, Math Studies won't cut it mate. If you want to do a business course, math SL is the minimum. if I were you, I'd take Econ HL, and math SL.

Best of Luck

I know some business schools like Hult International Business School still takes in Maths Studies. You should verify if Economics HL is required – most business schools in the U.S. typically have more math-based requirements as opposed to social science requirements; however, Canada is more likely to have specific course requirements e.g. Economics HL & Maths SL. Still, note that with business programs in the U.S. arguably being the most competitive in comparison to other majors, Maths Studies is unlikely to get you anywhere. Since you're still about to start DP1, like @King112, I would strongly recommend you take Maths SL to be competitive viable.

• Like 1

From my experience, Econ is not required for Business (I'm about to graduate from a Business Studies degree in the UK, and I haven't even come near Econ, I even avoided it during my degree for the most part), but, as always, check with the universities you want to apply to. Because it's impossible for anyone here to have knowledge about all the universities and college in US and Canada. 

But I would up it to Maths SL, though, cause all of those degrees require numerical skills, especially Finance and Accounting. 

• Like 1