I am in MYP5 and I am undecided about my choices. I want to either study in Portugal or the UK. I want to either to study finance or computer science.

The subjects I want to take are:

Economics HL

Math HL

Spanish B HL

Portuguese Lit. SL

Eng. Lang and Lit. SL

Physics SL

I am forced to do Portuguese and English. One has to be Lang. and Lit. and the other has to be Lit.. My first language is portuguese, and I do much better in portuguese than in english. Which one is harder though? Lang. and Lit or just Lit.? Do universities prefer one over the other?

Is there a problem with taking three languages, or should i change spanish to something like History SL, or another science?

Please answer honestly:

Do you think that these choices are good for someone pursuing a degree in either computer science or finance?

Edited by guilherme.freire.2020

Hey there,

I think you should switch Spanish out. Given you want to study computer science, doing Comp. Sci HL or another science, like Chem HL may not be a bad idea. 

I think you should be Ok for Finance with this combo, but since certain unis want to see your analytic side (At least mine did, in Australia and it's pretty similar to the UK), 3 languages won't help, and you'll be better off with switching Spanish out.

Another option for you would be to check out a few UK unis and see what their requirements for Comp. Sci and Finance are. Then possibly adjust. For example, Warwick University needs 38points with a 5 in HL math but doesn't mention if stuff like your other subjects matter. So in a roundabout way, I'm saying just take a look at a few unis and get an idea of what they want.

Cheers

King112

• Like 1

As long as you have Math HL, the rest of the HLs should be fine. A good Maths HL score is a comprehensive enough index of your intellectual vitality for any quantitative subject including finance, computer science or any other. As for SLs, there isn't a university in the world that actually cares what your SL subjects are. There are two things that you are judged upon and they are the overall score and the HL scores. Sometimes universities specify which subjects they want you to take at higher level, however this is often limited to 1-2 prerequisite subjects, if any. I've applied to Economics with Economics at standard level. Universities really care more about seeing a Maths HL than Econ HL. So yeah, Mathematics HL is more than sufficient. By taking up more highly quantitative HL subjects you risk underperformance in other subjects.

20 minutes ago, Vighnesh said:

I would suggest that you switch the levels of Spanish B and physics 

On 2018-02-16 at 1:58 PM, King112 said:

Hey there,

I think you should switch Spanish out. Given you want to study computer science, doing Comp. Sci HL or another science, like Chem HL may not be a bad idea. 

I think you should be Ok for Finance with this combo, but since certain unis want to see your analytic side (At least mine did, in Australia and it's pretty similar to the UK), 3 languages won't help, and you'll be better off with switching Spanish out.

Another option for you would be to check out a few UK unis and see what their requirements for Comp. Sci and Finance are. Then possibly adjust. For example, Warwick University needs 38points with a 5 in HL math but doesn't mention if stuff like your other subjects matter. So in a roundabout way, I'm saying just take a look at a few unis and get an idea of what they want.

Cheers

King112

I just want to offer my two cents regarding Spanish B HL. You're asking a global forum, and Spanish isn't going to seem as useful no as accessible to an Australian or an Indian as it is to someone in Brasil. Chemistry is not going to do much for from a computer science perspective (which is fine, Spanish won't help directly either). I'm not saying you should take it, but I don't think you should just discard if you are interested in it. You never know where there might be a job offer or an opportunity.

History SL or another science are good options, but I'd just recommend to do what you want. With computer science, the general recommendation is comp. sci. + math. You're doing math, and you're school doesn't offer comp. sci., so you're fine.

Edited by Nomenclature

• 4 weeks later...