Math IA deadline

fromsomewhere2k17

Hey all! 

This post is about my Maths SL IA, which I handed in incomplete (final submission). So due to various reasons, I was unable to finish my Maths IA and had to submit an incomplete version to my teacher, who put a very firm deadline. It was only around 8-9 pages and lacked a couple of the marking criterias (evaluation, etc) because I was finding my topic too difficult (something I realized quite late). The IA is hopeless now and I am left hoping to do well on the exam for a good grade. My aim is to get at least a 6 if not a 7. I know that the IA counts for 20% of our grade, but I am pretty confident in getting 80-90% for P1 and P2.

I wanted to know how much the IA score actually impacts the overall grade and if it's possible to get 7 or 6.

Thanks,
fromsomewhere2k17

Edited by fromsomewhere2k17

Like what you said, the IA will only take up 1/5 of your overall marks, hence it is definitely still possible to get a 7 (though it will be considerably tough to do so since you have to score relatively well in your P1 and P2). Don't be too caught up with how you did with your IA - redirect your focus and attention on your two papers now. You can definitely get at least a 6 and possibly a 7 if you remain focused on your 2 papers. You can do it! All the best with your exams! :D 

• Like 2

If you can get 80% on the actual papers, you should be be able to get at least a 6.(around 70% raw).
Calculating final percentage using 0.2 * IA grade/20 + 0.8 * paper avg grade / 90, and using a conservative estimate of 82.5% for a 7 (Timezone 2 May 2017 boundary is 83%).0.5 because average of 2 papers doesn't have to be an integer.

Moderated IA mark (/20) Papers avg (/90) for a 7
8 84 (93.3%)
9 83 (92.2%)
10 82 (91.1%)
11 80.5 (89.4%)
12 79.5 (88.3%)
13 78.5 (87.2%)
14 77.5 (86.1%)
15 76 (84.4%)

You should aim for at least the high 80%s. To put that into perspective, a 76/90 is getting all questions completely correct and maybe 1 or 2 marks on last question of each paper. 

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 2