My physics IA uses topic field from my Chem EE. Is it allowed?

Guest TheMagical7

Guest TheMagical7

Dear friends...

Basically it turns out that my original physics ia topic has an immeasurable dependent variable (adding salt to water does not affect its refractive index significantly :'( I tested this out in a preliminary trial), and now I need to quickly find another physics ia topic... I won't explicitly state it because I worry about plagiarism, but basically my Chem EE is about 'x' phenomena, and I can explore this phenomena through a physics aspect by relating it to magnetism and movement. 

I remember hearing that the IBO does not allow us to "double-dip" EE and IA topics, but I was wondering if it is permitted if the EE and IAs are from different subjects.

Thank you.

You can only do it on the same topic if the variables and content are significantly different between the two assessments. For example, mass and weight are essentially the same variable (gravitational constant is a constant), but velocity and type of material are clearly different variables. It should be safe to completely change the independent and dependent variables.