Is High Level Mathematics Absolutely Necessary For The Average German University (Engineering)

n.ero_

Hello,

I am looking to study civil engineering (and eventually environmental engineering) in Germany (no specific university). I currently take high level physics, ITGS and mathematics in IB1.

However, I am not the best at the type of math I am studying and as a result I got a mid-4 on my mid term exam. On the first term I got a 6/7. Although these grades seem sufficient, I personally struggle a lot with the material and know my situation is only going to deteriorate as material becomes extensive and more difficult.

I would like to ask if high level mathematics is absolutely necessary in most German universities for engineering, because, after looking at standard level math material, I am sure I can get a minimum of a 6 in standard math. Dropping high math would also allow me to focus more on my sciences, high physics and standard chemistry (high chemistry after dropping high math). So I would much rather get high grades in standard math than struggle and possibly fail high math, but if I have to take it then I will do my best to achieve a good grade.

I did some research already but did not find such details. I did find that a 37 in the IB is the minimum recommended grade for most universities, and I doubt this will be possible for me in high level math.

1a) Does anyone know if HL math is required for engineering in German universities?

1b) If so, what is the minimum grade?

2a) What is a recommended/suggested grade to get for the end of IB1 for engineering? It would be nice to have a known minimum to exceed.

Thank you for your time! 

1a) HL Math is a very common requirement for engineering courses in not only Germany but also for universities around the rest of the world.

1b) Depends. You have to check on the university website since different universities have different requirements - there is no standardized/ minimum mark that you need.

2a) Similar to 1b - it really depends on the university you are intending to study at. Usually, my teachers (from Singapore) encourage us to get at least 38 points to be safe if we want to attend an engineering course in a local university (not sure about Germany though).

Edited by Lixter
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 1:16 PM, Lixter said:

1a) HL Math is a very common requirement for engineering courses in not only Germany but also for universities around the rest of the world.

1b) Depends. You have to check on the university website since different universities have different requirements - there is no standardized/ minimum mark that you need.

2a) Similar to 1b - it really depends on the university you are intending to study at. Usually, my teachers (from Singapore) encourage us to get at least 38 points to be safe if we want to attend an engineering course in a local university (not sure about Germany though).

Okay, thank you for your response :)