Environnemental Systems and Societies

Emma Ricci

Me personally, I absolutely love it! I find it so fascinating to learn about the way our world works from the perspective of both a science and a social science. At our school, it's considered a natural science, though from what I gather it can be considered either depending on what the focus is. I found that the hardest thing for me is when there's a lot of chemistry involved, as I'm not very good with chemistry, but other than that, the subject surprised me with how interesting and engaging it is.

I personally chose it because out of all the sciences offered, ESS is the one I connect most with. When I went to my previous school, I won an award for a project based on the quality of the water in local harbours, and I figured that was the type of thing we'd be studying. Since I'm definitely more of a humanities person than a natsciences person, I wanted the best of both worlds. At first, I wasn't too keen on it, but it surprised me with how much I enjoyed it- I do, after all, have an interest in the natural sciences, it's just not my forte.

If you're interested in learning about environmental issues such as biodiversity, and approaching them from both a social and a scientific perspective, then ESS is definitely the subject for you! A lot of people say it's an easy subject, and say not to bother with it, but I think despite its seemingly easy nature, there's a lot more to it than you'd think.

I chose ESS because I didn't like the other sciences but I was surprised when I began to like it. The class is fairly easier than most subjects but it does require some effort as well. Data collection and analysis for the IA was pretty easy as I focused on the society aspect of it and got a pretty good grade overall. 

ESS is probably one of my favourite classes :)
at my school everyone calls it "drop out science" but the amount of content and different topics we cover cant be compared to the other sciences- 

my teacher addresses current world politics, economics, environment and society into just the one subject.

and yes- it is generally easier than other sciences but you do have to put work in to get high grades.