IB subjects combination

Menna

Hi everyone,

I'm in grade 10 right now, and I have to choose my subjects by next month. I want to study computer engineering at university.

So I'm for sure taking Physics and Math HL

Also, it's mandatory to take English A (LAL) in our school (so I'll do English A SL)

My #1 problem: For my second language I'll do Arabic (but the thing for Arabic, I'm really good at it. And I guarantee a 7 in Arabic B SL. However, if I took Arabic A (But I may get a 6 or 5), I will have IB bilingual diploma.

My #2 problem: I HATE group 3. So I want to choose the easiest subject for it. I'm thinking of Economics or B&M or ITGS, so what're your suggestions??

My #3 problem: I'm not gonna take arts, so I have to take one more subject. I've heard that some universities require chemistry for Engineering, so should I take chem SL or HL?

Can you suggest any good subjects combination?

Hey nice to see more people from Bahrain on here. Coincidentally I'm planning on studying computer engineering at uni too.

I'm taking Computer science HL, Physics SL, Math studies SL(Math SL wouldve been a better choice too late now though). I study at ARKIS and we must take our B language as an HL course. So i took English A SL and Arabic B HL.

Problem #1 I can't give much input here since I don't know alot about this, but If you have a bahraini nationality you probably don't need to worry about needing a bilingual diploma. From my and my friends experience English A is easier but pick whichever language you find easier as your A language.

Problem #2 If you are somewhat tech savy which I assume you are if you are interested in computer engineering, then I suggest taking ITGS it's pretty easy just a bunch of writing. The course itself doesn't teach you much (Computer Science is more technical and you go more in depth also less writing). The Internal assessment project is pretty time consuming compared to other subjects like physics. I honestly wish I took economics instead of ITGS purely because I feel like I've wasted 2 years and learnt nothing from the course. 

Problem #3 As far as I know you won't need chemistry to study computer engineering. I suggest you take Computer science it'll save you time in college, especially if you learn java while doing the course.

There's two ways to approach subject choice that I've seen. 1- Commit to a major/field of study e.g- engineering-physics-medicine etc. 2-Keep your subject choices as diverse as possible so you have as many choices as possible in uni, this is nice if you aren't ready to commit or don't know what you want to study in uni.

Anyways good luck :) feel free to ask if you have any questions or pm me