Math SL II or AP Calc AB

Tom Dublin

Hey everyone!  Please help a junior decide which math course to take senior year.  I'm not a diploma candidate, but taking 2 HLs next year and 1-2 SLs.  Currently taking IB Math SL I, thinking about SL II next year, but my current math teacher said that if not pursuing the diploma - take AP calc AB instead.

Pros for AP:

* in US, more likely to get college credit

* don't have to do an IA (but I've never done this before, so I don't know how tough it is).

Pros for IB:

* I'm told that I won't go as far into calc concepts as I would with AP calc (I don't like math, so this is a plus!), but I'm not sure if it's worth the trade off of the work required for the IA

* I'm probably going to be an arts/humanities major, so I'm not so sure advanced math concepts are all that important anyhow

* the whole reason I enjoy IB vs. AP - holistic approach to learning

Thoughts??

Most likely, you won't get college credit for SL in the states. AP will probably cover your gen. ed. requirement for math. But, there's always a 'rocks for jocks' version of math in college (I highly endorse it if you have no need for advanced math).

If you aren't pursuing math in college, I don't see a huge benefit for AP if you don't want to do it. You will probably get more out of IB due to the holistic approach, particularly if you like this method.

• Like 2