English HL Creative IOP-??

t.sw

Hi :)
So I'm currently in the middle of drafting my final IOP for english HL for a poem by Bruce Dawe "Doctor to Patient"

I've discussed with my teacher and we've bounced ideas around;

so far, I'm planning to present my IOP as the character of Bruce Dawe's doctor, and present my response poem to my "prop" (classmate) before kicking them out, (trying to showcase the "laziness of the unemployed" that Dawe blames in his poem)

then to begin the analytical part of the iop I would conduct it over a fake phone call, where the person on the other line is asking why I would write something like this in comparison to Dawe, then I would say "Well what do you mean she's done this? it's clearly because of ..." etc etc.

I'm worried about this approach because I've never done a creative iop, and I don't want it to get too repetitive?

any tips or comments would be appreciated

thank you!

Most of what you describe seems fine. I did my IOP on a short story from The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, and I acted from the point of view of one of the characters where he's describing his paranoia in war in a series of acted-out diary entries. After about 9 minutes a transitioned into analyzing the performance in relation to the story.

Your idea for a creative IOP seems like a great idea as long as you focus on the topic and implications found in the poem. The only thing I would suggest is that the analytical part could just be like a formal speech. This might create a better distinction between when you are performing and when you are seriously analyzing that performance. Making the entire thing creative could make the analysis part not as strong.

Regardless, talk to your teacher more about this. Sounds like you're in a great place, and I wish you luck on your IOP!

• Like 1