Are my IB subject choices good?

JKY

Spoiler

Here are my almost finalized IB subjects:

English A Literature HL (I'm good with languages and love reading. I want to major in languages, so I've chosen this course. *You'll see below that I take 3 languages)

Psychology HL (No way was I taking History, Economics didn't call out to me and Psychology looked incredibly interesting. Also, I've heard it's not a HUGE jump between SL and HL)

Mathematics HL (I know I just said I want to major in languages, but I enjoy math and am doing well in my current class. I hope that I can handle it, and I knew that I'd regret it if I didn't take it)

French B SL (I've learned French on and off, so I'm not quite up to SL level; I'm doing tutoring once a week to help speed the process along. I love French though!)

Spanish B SL (Ab Initio) (I had to drop one of my subjects-mother tongue-and had to choose a different subject.)

Chemistry/Physics SL (debating between the two; I currently take chem, but I can take physics next year if I want to. I originally had chem, but I'm starting to think physics may be easier. Any advice much appreciated about this part. I was considering doubling in two SL sciences, but that might be weird since I'm a languages person and most people don't double in SL sciences)

Please evaluate my IB subjects and any opinions about what I might struggle with (or comments on a good choice) would be very helpful :) Everyone's chosen their subjects in our school so I'm kinda stressed haha!

Hello JKY! 

Your subject combination seems good! As for whether you should double in SL sciences, my advice for you would be not to go down this path as there is really no requirement for most university courses to have 2 SL sciences (I have actually yet to see a course that needs 2 SL sciences). If you are doing it because you feel like you can score a higher IB overall score, then you should just go for it. But if it is to open more doors for your university courses, then I would not recommend doing so. 

Hope this helps! :D 

@Lixter Hello, thank you for your reply!

I was considering doubling but decided not to since I decided on Spanish Ab Initio (since I'm geared towards languages in general, I decided it would be better to do 3 languages than 2 SL sciences, as you and many others around me advised).

However, I have yet to choose between Chemistry or Physics for my science and can't decide which one to take. Would you have any advice for this?

Thank you again!

I used to take chemistry and physics in my secondary school (Pre-IB). Personally, I always felt that chemistry was the easier subject as it required you to just understand the main concepts in each topic. Whereas, for Physics, I had to not only understand the concepts in the syllabus, but I also had to run a lot of numbers in my head for multiple open-ended questions. So, I would definitely take chemistry if I had to choose between both subjects. However, in no way am I trying to suggest that chemistry is an easier subject than physics. I am just basing this off my personal experience with both subjects. 

At the end of the day, you should reflect on your strengths and your previous performance/ experience in both subjects (if you had any).

Hope this helps! :D 

It does help, thank you!

I am currently taking Chemistry as a sophomore (I've never taken a Physics class), and I've heard that while this will help, it may look like I had an advantage taking one science for a total of three years. I've read that Physics is easier in the sense that you just have to know which formulas to use (which is probably difficult theory-wise). While I'm sure this is an exaggeration considering that Physics is considered the most difficult, I'm wondering if my Math HL will help me. I am not mathematically oriented, as I mentioned above, but I'm hoping the combination of Math HL and Physics SL will be better for me in the long run. I also got the sense that Chemistry requires more memorization than Physics, which is another factor I'm considering changing. I honestly don't know which subject will be better for me, so I'm sorry for my questions!

Hi!

At my school generally the chemistry people do better, but considering you are going to take math HL I believe that will be a great advantage. Although considering you are not thinking of a major towards that area it should really just be up to what you are interested in. You usually do better in the classes which you find more interesting so if you think you will enjoy physics more, take physics and vice versa. Also, the teachers are actually very important, so check that out, because if there's a bad teacher for one of the subjects the likelihood of you doing worse in that class is higher.