Choosing IB subjects

Menna

I'm starting my full IB programme next year. I didn't really decide what to study in order to choose my subjects. I'm between (Medicine, Dentistry, or Pharmacy "Biology/chemistry related majors") or Engineering. I know that for engineering, I have to take Physics and math, and for  Medicine, Dentistry, or Pharmacy, I have to take Chemistry and Biology. Also, I want to choose Physics, Chemistry, and Math HL. (I studied 2 years of middle school in Egypt so I've taken advanced bio). Also, I took a semester of biology in grade 9 which is included in my high school American diploma as the school award it too to us. But I'm not willing to choose biology in my IB, can I still do Medicine, Dentistry, or Pharmacy without taking biology (or with a foundation year)?

Hello Menna! 

I am unaware about the university requirements in your country. However, from my knowledge, not all university courses covering Medicine require biology as one of its HL sciences. I am certain that some courses (if not most courses) also accept HL Physics. Even so, I highly suggest you to do some research on the prerequisites on the university course you want to take. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps! :D 

Hi! 

I was kind of in a similar situation as you last year wanting to do both engineering and medicine except I wanted to take bio and phy and I didn't want to take chemistry. The requirements are different for each country so look at the requirements for the schools in the country you want to go to. Having looked a bit at the UK I know that for medicine they require chem HL foremostly and then another HL in either math or bio, so yes for the UK that would work, I'm not as sure as to how it is with universities in other countries but I'm guessing it is similar.