IBMike

I just submitted my EE to the IB. Although I know that this is absolute unless acted on by my coordinator, I am unsure of something and fear my EE could become invalidated.

My EE focused on one piece of radioactive material, Strontium-90, which is alpha radiation. What I investigated was how the atomic structure of this radiation leads to its ability to penetrate paper and metals.

This was approved by the EE supervisor and my mentor as well. Months went by as I completed the research and the experiment, and ultimately, the essay. Just yesterday my mentor informed me of something that was in the Subject Specific guidelines that was troubling, "radioactive materials are strictly prohibited."

These guidelines were not given to anyone in my class until mid-November, past the date where we submitted our topics to the IB, thus leaving no time to think of a new question, how to investigate, research, and perform the experiment.

At that point, I would have switched over to an EE that is easier to receive a passing mark in; something in English or History.

Overall, I fear my EE may become invalidated and receive an E, thus stripping away any chance at the Diploma. 

Now I wonder if there is anything I can do as a candidate to help my case. 

Disclaimer: The radiation used could not pose a threat to myself or my mentor unless the source of radiation was ingested. Protective gear was worn at all times, and I had my mentors guidance at all times while performing the experiment. The radiation was also very weak and could not even penetrate the skin.