I will be doing my first FOA in a weeks time and I need help coming up with a topic. I plan to do an oral speech and was thinking about the idea of 'comparing and contrasting the portrayal of women in Disney's movies' such as from Cinderella to Moana. But I really don't know what to do, or how to get started on my FOA! Does anyone have any tips on how to start and what to talk about?? 

Edited by devsb19

Hi,

Sounds good. Go ahead with your idea. You can compare how they are portrayed physically, clothing, behaviour and relationships, each of these revealing some aspect of the character and also part of an underlying ideology (values, attitudes and beliefs). Keep in mind that each character will probably correspond to a set of assumptions, and some will be foils to the main character. Are the women petty, vicious, backstabbing, where the men are not? Older or younger women? What makes Cinderella "good" and "virtuous" and how is this conveyed? In whose interests is this portrayal (i.e. virtuous and good)? Are we the audience being sold certain ideals? Do they benefit women or men most?  Just keep asking questions assuming nothing just happens by chance in productions, there are always interests being served!  Does this help?

• Like 1